Tyler's 220 gallon in wall build thread!

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,

As I'm new to creating a saltwater set up, I figured I could use some help along the way. Get some education from seasoned reef keepers, whom some have already helped me, in a previous form.

The display tank, which will be in a wall, is a custom Miracles 220gallon, with external coast to coast overflow. Which I'm hoping to see arrive in next four weeks or so. I'm going with 100 gallon sump/refugium which I've been bouncing ideas back and forth about design, but I think I've figured what I'm going to do(disregard 10 ATO in photo as it's been deleted due to me using my cisterns to create large make-up water station). Plan is to grow as much Chaeto as possible to help with nutrients.

Equipment, I've decided with go with Neptune Apex as I've heard great things, and seems like the perfect fit for me. Skimmer possibly Reef Octopus 3000int, or JNS marine pro 3.But I am looking for skimmer that can sit in deeper water, which helps not imped into framing. As I'd like as much volume in sump. Power heads either multiple neptune wave kit, or mp40s, cant decide. Return pump either cor20s, or Varois 8's. Also cant decide. Lights I'm thinking 4 of the hydra 26HD. Still many things to figure out, but this is rough start idea.

Quartine/water. So I'm setting up two 55 gallon drums, to act as cisterns. One above the other. First with RODI water, second with premixed saltwater. Beside them, im setting up a 150 gallon, which I'm splitting into two 75 gallons, as quartine, or which ever I decide.

The build. As a tradesman, I only like doing things once, the right way. So I tend to pre plan, and forsee as much as possible.

Plumbing. So I roughed in water up high, so the R.O looks clean, and put in laundry tub, with additional side drain, so nothing inpeeds into tub itself. Cistern will sit directly beside, as I'll use RODI water as gravity feed faucet into tub, for washing, etc. All the sump plumbing I'm hard piping as I like the clean look of it.

Electrical. So from panel the fish room is a dedicated circuit. So I'll have no issues there. And I've put elevated, and lower standard height recepticals, in areas needed. As you can never have to much power.

I've also installed large cfm ceiling fan, vented outside. To control humidity if I wish. It is set on a programmable switch to come on three times a day.

Ok so tell me what you think, and thanks for joining me on this journey.

---interesting fact, my dad breed freshwater cichlids growing up as a kid, at one point had 100 tanks in basement. The 150 gallon, and the 100 gallon which I'm using, I've purchased back from same breeder my dad sold them to, 15 years ago. Small world, and cool I get them back :)

20190103_081251.jpg

20181206_144452.jpg

20181209_165429.jpg

20181218_175809.jpg

20181226_122843.jpg

20181229_083633.jpg

20190104_173334.jpg

Last edited:

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! What a great setup. I'm hoping to do the same at my next house in the new couple of years.

The only input I'd have at this point is I'm not sure I'd use the really old tanks on this build. Those seals would make me nervous personally, but if you're comfortable with it, have at it! You're the one who has the clean it up if they fail, anyway. Haha!

Brandon

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! What a great setup. I'm hoping to do the same at my next house in the new couple of years.

The only input I'd have at this point is I'm not sure I'd use the really old tanks on this build. Those seals would make me nervous personally, but if you're comfortable with it, have at it! You're the one who has the clean it up if they fail, anyway. Haha!

Brandon
Good thing with the old tanks, is my dad built them. So I'm confident there good to go. Cheers

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. So after a hard day yesterday, I'm ready for my custom. Picture with plywood wall beside tank, will be for Apex and controls, and hopefully keep wiring clean.

This custom better hurry up, I cant wait. Good thing I have a full reno to keep me busy at least, until it arrives. I go pick up 150 and 100 this weekend, and start the sump build, and cisterns set up. Which @scott11106 I'll be staring at your drawing for awhile lol.

20190106_164049.jpg

20190106_163747.jpg

20190106_163812.jpg

20190106_140226.jpg

20190106_163731.jpg

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may want to think about plumbing a drain somewhere low if you have not done so yet. you then can plumb your water change and anything else right into the drain..
When I plumbed the house, I added a 3" hub drain against outside wall about three fee from laundry tub :)

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of other items as I am thinking through the process:
1. exhaust fan (really good to get rid of moisture)
2. airline tube to the exterior of the house for skimmer (not a necessity but helps just in case you get high CO2)
3. I have 3 EB8's(power blocks) and I ran each one to its own APC so i would think through placement and circuits for those and do you have a generator?
4. the salt reservoir tends to build calcium and deposits so you may want to lift it and put a drain in the bottom or near the bottom, or you can make it easily removable to clean, but once every year or less it will need to be cleaned. Also will need a circulating pump is salt reservoir that turns on every hour or so.
5. the 1/4" removal line from DOs for water change will have to run to the drain (be nice to hide that in wall if you can
6. Are you going to plumb in the reactors to the return (I plumbed in 4 valves for reactors but i only use 3 now)

that's all i can think of right now, i will continue to follow along so please post everything and i will add items as it goes. please feel free to ask anything but your work is coming along as it is looking great

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of other items as I am thinking through the process:
1. exhaust fan (really good to get rid of moisture)
2. airline tube to the exterior of the house for skimmer (not a necessity but helps just in case you get high CO2)
3. I have 3 EB8's(power blocks) and I ran each one to its own APC so i would think through placement and circuits for those and do you have a generator?
4. the salt reservoir tends to build calcium and deposits so you may want to lift it and put a drain in the bottom or near the bottom, or you can make it easily removable to clean, but once every year or less it will need to be cleaned. Also will need a circulating pump is salt reservoir that turns on every hour or so.
5. the 1/4" removal line from DOs for water change will have to run to the drain (be nice to hide that in wall if you can
6. Are you going to plumb in the reactors to the return (I plumbed in 4 valves for reactors but i only use 3 now)

that's all i can think of right now, i will continue to follow along so please post everything and i will add items as it goes. please feel free to ask anything but your work is coming along as it is looking great

1- I have already installed a exhausted fan in mech/fish room to deal with moisture.
2-whats builds up co2? I could, at this stage, very easily run one out side, if it was very beneficial. Although what affect will that have in winter months?
3-sry APC referring to what sry?Generator no, although with amount of research I have done, if come accross this quite abit, and I'm wondering same thing. Just cost at moment im trying to maintain some budget as im also finishing my basement. Also house is only two years old, and I'm in a area where power never goes out, or it would be super rare.
4- salt water reservoir I'm going to put plumbing low, with unions, to make for easy removal.
5- 1/4" line I will be able to basically hide on back edge of room, straight to hub drain, so it will be completely out of sight.
6-reactors, I've crossed paths with this aswell. Honeslty I dont know. I was just going to dos. As it currently seems to me it might be easier to manage with less cost right now?? Maybe install in future, but plumb for it now?

On a side note, I was thinking about installing a UV steralizer right away on system to help maintain water. Good idea, bad idea? Thoughts?? I really dont want to do all this work and have any problem with algea, pests, etc. Although I understand it may still happen anyway at some point. Being super preventative is a key

@scott11106 keep your thoughts coming, it's really helping me, cheers

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- I have already installed a exhausted fan in mech/fish room to deal with moisture.
2-whats builds up co2? I could, at this stage, very easily run one out side, if it was very beneficial. Although what affect will that have in winter months?
3-sry APC referring to what sry?Generator no, although with amount of research I have done, if come accross this quite abit, and I'm wondering same thing. Just cost at moment im trying to maintain some budget as im also finishing my basement. Also house is only two years old, and I'm in a area where power never goes out, or it would be super rare.
4- salt water reservoir I'm going to put plumbing low, with unions, to make for easy removal.
5- 1/4" line I will be able to basically hide on back edge of room, straight to hub drain, so it will be completely out of sight.
6-reactors, I've crossed paths with this aswell. Honeslty I dont know. I was just going to dos. As it currently seems to me it might be easier to manage with less cost right now?? Maybe install in future, but plumb for it now?

On a side note, I was thinking about installing a UV steralizer right away on system to help maintain water. Good idea, bad idea? Thoughts?? I really dont want to do all this work and have any problem with algea, pests, etc. Although I understand it may still happen anyway at some point. Being super preventative is a key

@scott11106 keep your thoughts coming, it's really helping me, cheers
CO2 can build up for many reasons and new construction tends to have higher CO2 levels, this might not be an issue and you can plug the tube or whatever until you need it

APC as a battery backup for power surge or loss for very short amount of time (couple minutes) i like them for many reasons but if i need to turn the breaker off for any reason the tank system does not cycle down. only problem with these are you dont want to pull more than 800w peak so when you setup EB8's divide your load as even as possible (for instance dont put heaters and lights on the same EB8/APC unless they pull less than 800w peak)
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.03.11 AM.png

You will want to plumb for the reactors in my opinion and also i found a algae scrubber to be an effective addition to the refugium for a place for the unwanted algae to grow instead of in your main display (not needed at all but i would plumb for it now even if you dont use it)
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.06.09 AM.png
Reactors are a great way to run your carbon and GFO if needed (most likely), you dont need huge ones but trust me they work very well and you will use them. as a side note you can fill them with any type of media and even switch them out anytime.

UV seems to be great, i have one installed (you can see in my latest pictures in my build thread) to be honest not sure how well it works but what i can say is the way my system is setup with all of the pieces and parts works very well and well automated

Do you have a QT tank on other side of room? you will need one, or actually 2 small ones is better with lids so no cross contamination or at least minimized. and QT EVERYTHING !! i did not qt coral at first and just dipped but ended up getting red flatworms a month or so ago... now i am qting everything so i have 2 nano tanks, one for coral/inverts and one for fish.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 can build up for many reasons and new construction tends to have higher CO2 levels, this might not be an issue and you can plug the tube or whatever until you need it

APC as a battery backup for power surge or loss for very short amount of time (couple minutes) i like them for many reasons but if i need to turn the breaker off for any reason the tank system does not cycle down. only problem with these are you dont want to pull more than 800w peak so when you setup EB8's divide your load as even as possible (for instance dont put heaters and lights on the same EB8/APC unless they pull less than 800w peak)
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.03.11 AM.png

You will want to plumb for the reactors in my opinion and also i found a algae scrubber to be an effective addition to the refugium for a place for the unwanted algae to grow instead of in your main display (not needed at all but i would plumb for it now even if you dont use it)
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.06.09 AM.png
Reactors are a great way to run your carbon and GFO if needed (most likely), you dont need huge ones but trust me they work very well and you will use them. as a side note you can fill them with any type of media and even switch them out anytime.

UV seems to be great, i have one installed (you can see in my latest pictures in my build thread) to be honest not sure how well it works but what i can say is the way my system is setup with all of the pieces and parts works very well and well automated

Do you have a QT tank on other side of room? you will need one, or actually 2 small ones is better with lids so no cross contamination or at least minimized. and QT EVERYTHING !! i did not qt coral at first and just dipped but ended up getting red flatworms a month or so ago... now i am qting everything so i have 2 nano tanks, one for coral/inverts and one for fish.
Ya, I saw your post about the worms, i could see how devastating dealing with that could be for someone.

Yes other side of the room is quartine area. It will be 150 gallon tank, that. I'm dividing into two separate tanks. I plan on quarantining everything. As I've read quite a few horror stories. I plan on starting with dry rock, and dry sand. And activating it my self to help prevent pests.

What type of reactors do you use? And what point do you think I will need gfo and carbon on my system? So basically reactors help assist macro in filtering water. I will most definitely plumb for these future items, as it's far easier to do it now.

APC seems like a good affordable option to maybe jump on right away.

The coral that you think you got the pest into your display, did it come from a reputable person or business you used before? Or was it like a one time thing and dip didn't work? I'm still educating myself about dip and quartine fish and coral. Which is the exact reason the back wall framed area, is dedicated for QT specifically

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind with the APC units they'll need enough current available to charge their batteries while also powering what's attached. It may be worth buying one bigger unit at 220v unit if you can run the power for it. If you go that route. If you use multiple 110v units, keep the current in mind. :)

Brandon

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind with the APC units they'll need enough current available to charge their batteries while also powering what's attached. It may be worth buying one bigger unit at 220v unit if you can run the power for it. If you go that route. If you use multiple 110v units, keep the current in mind. :)
Brandon

Good information to keep in mind. Plus side is, panel is in same room. Also room is on on completely dedicated circuit to the two gang, and three single gangs(which I assumed most equipment would be plugged into). Rest of room (softener, water heater, etc) is on a completely different circuit itself. But great food for thought. Worst case I pull more feeds from panel, no biggie :)

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help, I need a skimmer that is meant for water depth 8-9", that's a good recommended brand? I can get a Seapora brand but cant find any real reviews on them. Reason is to keep as much volume in sump/ref as possible. I could go with typical 6-7.5" or what not. But I would like to have something deeper. Or is that not a thing?

Back