Tymo's 67G

tymo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, bit of an introduction: this will be my 3rd reef tank, first was a second-hand 75G my mom and I had from 2004-2009 (bit of a plumbing disaster did that one in), second is my current IM Nuvo 20 I got in college; its going on 6 years old now and I have moved it throughout California a total of 5 times now (huge PITA). This year got married, settled into a new job and found a place that we figure will be a bit of a longer-term arrangement, so I figured it was finally time for an upgrade.

-Tank, stand, and plumbing was done by CDA, 36x24x18 so roughly 67G. Overflow is Modular Marine. Tank has ~35lbs of MarcoRocks and 1 bag of Reef Flakes. Will be adding some rock from the Nuvo. Planning on SPS-dominant with some LPS.
-Sump: Bashsea Smart Series 30x18x15.
-Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 150Int
-Return: Reef Octopus Varios 4
-Controller: Apexel
-Dosing: Apex Dos with BRS 2-part
-Light: Orphek Atlantik V4.2 (currently on the Nuvo 20)
-ATO: Tunze (currently on the Nuvo)
-Flow: MP10x1, MP40x1
-Reactor: BRS deluxe reactor, likely will be running carbon/GFO
-Fuge in 2nd chamber will have chaeto

Got the tank filled and running on 12/23, and added some Microbacter7 on 12/30. Just ghost feeding for now, I'll be testing for ammonia in a few days. Once the cycle is done, I'll transfer over the livestock from the Nuvo. At the moment the Nuvo is home to a pair of clowns, juvenile whitetail bristletooth I picked up from DD last week (Nuvo is very temporary housing for it), ~20 heads of bicolor hammer I grew from a frag, xenia, and a few other smaller corals.

Finally some pics (excuse the messy sump):
0101201521.jpg

0101201413_HDR.jpg
0101201414a.jpg

0101201414b.jpg

One thing I can't figure out is how to get quiet operation from the overflow plumbing. I was supposed to get a bean animal, but CDA instructed me to set the primary up to the ball valve, secondary to the gate. The overflow box drains don't have any elbows, just straight pvc at varying heights. I have the water level just at the secondary so there is a slight trickle, but the primary has an air vortex and I can't seem to get quiet operation on it. Tough to see from the pic below, but bottom in the picture is primary (I left off the short piece of PVC as I get constant air sucking with it), top is secondary, and middle is emergency. Any ideas on how to get this quiet?

0101201415.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back