type of leather or a sponge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jisko
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2016
Messages
1,026
Reaction score
730
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm moving my live stock and such over to a bigger tank and I ran into this lil bugger growing in the back anyone know what it is? I like it and wouldnt mind it in the new tank if its ok


20170312_150123.jpg
 
Do you have leathers in the tank? How old is the rock? Is it in an area of light?
 
only coral in the tank was a kenya tree thats about 10 months old

the rock is over a year old

it was at the top of the rock in the back with direct light

I will add that I bought this rock from a shop
 
Can you touch it and see what it does?
 
When I touched it this is what it did (shown in the photo) before I touched it it had little green flowers or some sort coming out of them similar to what a birds nest has(the little clovers that wave in the current)

each of them lil "dots" on it was one of them lil flowers
 
Can you get another shot when the polyps come back out?
 
Yeah I moved them to a flag plug because the tank they were in is being broken down today. Once it opens up again I'll post a photo and tag you in it
 
nahh looks nothing like star polyps when its opened
 
nearest thing I can find is something like the image below but the flower things are greenish color.

50d136072059675074e5436e9a82b6fe.jpg
 
Is that a tunicate Renee? The "polyp" things look like mine except mine didn't retreat when touched.
Sort of an odd growth pattern for a leather...
 
Looks like an octocoral to me, Sinularia, Capnella, Klyxum or any other similar type only time will tell. Soft corals often drop branches, buds and reproduce by lateral fission. I am inclined to think it's Capnella based on the last image.
 
My money would be on capnella, it does remind me an awful lot of sympodium of sorts but I've not seen one that color.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new