Type of Plywood to Place Under Stand?

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be placing either a 1/2" or 3/4" piece of plywood underneath the IM EXT 200 Peninsula I'm getting to help distribute weight since it's being placed on Pergo laminate flooring. It's first floor, and slab, so no worries about general support, but I am slightly worried about the Pergo itself supporting it/cracking since it'll be around 2,500 pounds or so all-in. Anyway, what kind of plywood should I use? I've used wolmanized wood for stands in the past, but not sure that's the best choice. Thoughts? Additionally, I want to be able to paint the edges of the wood that will be seen (I'm going to cut the piece of plywood about 2 inches longer and wider than the dimensions of the stand, which are about 30" x 70"), and I've read that wolmanized wood isn't the best to paint.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, agree wolmanized may leach and damage floor , usually still wet inside if not warped , 1/2" -3/4"
sanded one side would prob be best option ,
what will be sitting on ply ,full base on stand ,or feet ? sorry not familiar w IM stands.

Last edited:

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be using 1/2 in ground contact treated outdoor plywood for under the tank and sump. It’s not the prettiest ply, but it’s designed to maintain shape and thickness in situations where it will get wet and dry repeatedly. It’s also moisture resistant. For the edges, I will be sanding smooth and applying melamine edge banding for a clean, black finish.

OP
OP
P

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, agree wolmanized may leach and damage floor , usually still wet inside if not warped , 1/2" -3/4"
sanded one side would prob be best option ,
what will be sitting on ply ,full base on stand ,or feet ? sorry not familiar w IM stands.
The full base will be on the plywood. No feet AFAIK.

200_p_ext_black_sump_pump_plumbing_copy__22687.1677694525.jpg

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that the weight is going to go straight through the plywood to the floor - the plywood flatly doesn’t have the stiffness (vs the floor) to distribute it any more than creating a footprint under each leg contact area that’s about 1/2” wider than the leg footprint , and even then only in the sides where the plywood extends beyond the leg.

How big are the legs on the stand? Eyeballing the photos of these stands it looks like maybe 2”x2”? If so the pressure underneath (and assuming no distribution from the pieces around the base) is only going to be about 150psi, this should be way less than the floor product crush value.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'll be placing either a 1/2" or 3/4" piece of plywood underneath the IM EXT 200 Peninsula I'm getting to help distribute weight since it's being placed on Pergo laminate flooring. It's first floor, and slab, so no worries about general support, but I am slightly worried about the Pergo itself supporting it/cracking since it'll be around 2,500 pounds or so all-in. Anyway, what kind of plywood should I use? I've used wolmanized wood for stands in the past, but not sure that's the best choice. Thoughts? Additionally, I want to be able to paint the edges of the wood that will be seen (I'm going to cut the piece of plywood about 2 inches longer and wider than the dimensions of the stand, which are about 30" x 70"), and I've read that wolmanized wood isn't the best to paint.
I use Treated plywood with my 660g and did the job

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 400 gallons sitting on a hardwood floor without issues.. not sure why people cut their tiles and flooring out under tanks… :thinking-face:
I think a lot of folks are surprised by the difference between “heavy for a human to lift” vs “heavy for a structural/engineered material to carry”.

Like, 2000 lbs is a LOT for a human. It’s not a lot for a short piece of 2x4 or pressure on flooring.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of folks are surprised by the difference between “heavy for a human to lift” vs “heavy for a structural/engineered material to carry”.

Like, 2000 lbs is a LOT for a human. It’s not a lot for a short piece of 2x4 or pressure on flooring.
Seriously! My stand is 3/4”plywood only and 2x4’s on just the ends.. it’s holding 3,000lbs without even batting an eye! Haha

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got 400 gallons sitting on a hardwood floor without issues.. not sure why people cut their tiles and flooring out under tanks… :thinking-face:
IMG_9271.jpeg
OP , has pergo, depending on year manufactured ,stand will slightly sink into soft ,and prevent ability of floor to float.
which over time may cause main floor to buckle, have seen in person ,buying a teardown because of this issue
but that was 10 years ago...JME

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! I'm not looking to cut any tiles out. Just worried about the weight cracking the Pergo laminate.
I don’t think you’d have any issues honestly unless the stand has feet? If you got little adjustable feet it might be a issue but if it’s all wood like mine and sits flush on the floor you’re fine.. my flooring is 3/8” mdf with some fancy wood grain top lol.. it’s working just fine.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP , has pergo, depending on year manufactured ,stand will slightly sink into soft ,and prevent ability of floor to float.
which over time may cause main floor to buckle, have seen in person ,buying a teardown because of this issue
but that was 10 years ago...JME
I have pergo under mine with the 1/8” blue foam and concrete under that.. mine is fine, dunno lol..

OP
OP
P

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that the weight is going to go straight through the plywood to the floor - the plywood flatly doesn’t have the stiffness (vs the floor) to distribute it any more than creating a footprint under each leg contact area that’s about 1/2” wider than the leg footprint , and even then only in the sides where the plywood extends beyond the leg.

How big are the legs on the stand? Eyeballing the photos of these stands it looks like maybe 2”x2”? If so the pressure underneath (and assuming no distribution from the pieces around the base) is only going to be about 150psi, this should be way less than the floor product crush value.
This is the actual Pergo I have. I don't immediately see any info regarding the "crush value" though. I guess you're right though, even though the entire bottom of the stand is in contact with the floor, the weight is still all on the four corners?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have pergo under mine with the 1/8” blue foam and concrete under that.. mine is fine, dunno lol..
I think age and improvement in " floating fake wood" materials has changed for the better ,at least hope soo
over last 20 years .

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your stand Support all the weight at the Four Corners? Mine Does, and this is what I did, Aluminum Plates at the Corners, slightly Larger than the Laminated Plywood Post, on the Stand. Yogi Mat Contact Cement Glued on the Aluminum. The Center Support Plates are to carry the Sumps Weight. Been up a year, in a tile floor, with no problems.

Attachments

• 20891BA1-1C35-4BAD-9DF5-02C3A7883181.jpeg
    20891BA1-1C35-4BAD-9DF5-02C3A7883181.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 39
  • B2C7A029-AC5A-4BEB-84B4-5BD2F5DAE144.jpeg
    B2C7A029-AC5A-4BEB-84B4-5BD2F5DAE144.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DFB433BB-08A2-4E47-8912-A61A8772540F.jpeg
    DFB433BB-08A2-4E47-8912-A61A8772540F.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 38

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 74 52.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back