U.V. For 125 gallon tank

Cheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

considering setting up a UV on my 125. Specifically for pathogens. All my plumbing is soft tubing so really I have two questions,

what UV to go with? (Any budget friendly options?)

how to plumb it into the tank?
The tank is a 125 planet aquarium crystalline.

thanks in advance!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you hoping to eliminate pathogens, or just allow your fish to get repeatedly sick?

OP
OP
Cheesus

Cheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 57-watt AquaUV on mine. I run mine from post-filter sock chamber to the return chamber in the sump.
What pump are you using?
Are you hoping to eliminate pathogens, or just allow your fish to get repeatedly sick?
I am confused by this question, can you clarify?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump are you using?

I am confused by this question, can you clarify?

The idea behind the UV for pathogens is that you allow the opportunity for the fish to repeatedly get sick (i.e. not QT-ing to prevent the pathogens from entering in the first place), but that you are supposedly cutting down the number of pathogens attacking them at any given time. I say this because many seem to misunderstand that UV's will prevent their fish from getting sick.

OP
OP
Cheesus

Cheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea behind the UV for pathogens is that you allow the opportunity for the fish to repeatedly get sick (i.e. not QT-ing to prevent the pathogens from entering in the first place), but that you are supposedly cutting down the number of pathogens attacking them at any given time. I say this because many seem to misunderstand that UV's will prevent their fish from getting sick.
So in your opinion, a UV for pathogens is not a good way to go?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information, I think the manual calls for the 25 watt for my tank, but same concept. Did you use soft tubing?
I did. I used braided tubing but I've since learned that apparently this can lead to more vibration noise, and that good quality silicone tubing is just as effective.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in your opinion, a UV for pathogens is not a good way to go?
As @Spare time mentioned, it's a different way of managing your tank. You'll never eliminate 100% of the parasites, but you keep the numbers extremely low and the fish very healthy (vitamins, garlic, etc.) such that they're able to successfully fight anything off.

OP
OP
Cheesus

Cheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Spare time mentioned, it's a different way of managing your tank. You'll never eliminate 100% of the parasites, but you keep the numbers extremely low and the fish very healthy (vitamins, garlic, etc.) such that they're able to successfully fight anything off.
Im just trying to get everything in place I can to help keep fish healthy. I’ve run into issues with ich before, and would like to have every weapon I can to fight it.

how did you end up mounting yours?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just trying to get everything in place I can to help keep fish healthy. I’ve run into issues with ich before, and would like to have every weapon I can to fight it.

how did you end up mounting yours?
In my Red Sea 750 cabinet I mounted it horizontally on the back of the cabinet over the sump.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back