Ugg aptaisia made it into my tank.

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started my tank out with dry rock to avoid the pest but that has show to be ineffective I still managed to get pest from coral frags. So I got some frags and one had a aptaisia on the rock it was attached to and I killed it and covered the spot in super glue but know I just spotted one on my branching hammer frag. How do I go about getting this little stinker off without hurting the hammer and spreading its spores everywhere.
20210222063855_IMG_1404~2.jpg

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp. They have worked really well for me. One shrimp in my 65 gallon wiped out 10-20 In a week's time.
Unfortunately for me I got 4 shrimps in my 40, they didn’t kill a single aiptasia, but they did kill a few of my snails and eat them. I saw them flipping my snails over from the glass

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you get it you will get more....

The only effective longterm solutions is a QT of new additions or a predator that eats them(nudis, filefish,ps, etc)

Most of the really good options(nudis) will starve when there are no more so that is more like a reset than longterm control. Things like peppermint shrimp many report have great success and others report them useless. For me i wont use them because after a couple attempts i got tired of them prying open my lps(chalices,acans) to steal their food.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nudibranchs. Altough ive never seen them in action. Peppermint shrimp have worked for me in the past. Batch ordered from swf.com
I suggest fire. Small hand held torches. Well its wet and full and not in the rock... burn it!
D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If just a few, using a syringe, mix kalkwasser powder with tank water and lemon juice into a paste with consistency of toothpaste and inject into center core of aptasia and they’ll melt in front of you

Mooneyhan22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I had 20+ a few months ago. The first one was hidden in the middle of a firework clove polyp colony. Two peppermint shrimp ate all of the smaller ones that had spread throughout the tank but they do not touch the main 3 that keep returning. I have injected them with kalk paste and aptasia x about 10 times and killed the firework clove polyp colony in the process. I superglued them a few weeks ago and just notice yesterday that they had returned. I am going to try the kalk paste solution and then superglue overtop with a small ball of epoxy putty right after they melt. I think the putty with the superglue will help seal them in the rock.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a 3 babies pop up (all that I know of). I hit them with aiptasia x and that seemed to work. I considered getting a couple peppermints but I have several Rock flower Nems that I didn’t want to get eaten... so far so good.

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aptasia x.. I get the large 500ml bottle and hit them here and there.. the trick is to inject it into the mouth and then I cover it.. works most of the time but u may have to hit it again..
The hard ones are the ones upside down or in a corner.. they don’t bother much regardless unless next to a coral..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back