In defense of aptaisia

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be crazy but I don’t completely hate aptaisia. I still remember seeing my first aptaisia growing out of the live rock in my new 24 gallon nano. I actually fed it, not knowing what it was!!!

Don’t get me wrong. I try to eliminate them but investments in bottles of aptaisia X, file fish, copperbands, Klein butterflyfish, peppermint shrimp and nudibranchs have all failed. I keep them at bay but am learning to live with them.

Some look pretty cool (see pic). I also am at the stage in my tank where my corals are overgrowing each other with one tending to kill the other. In some areas small aptaisia grow in the crevices between the coral and are equal opportunity stingers. They singe both corals slightly but then keep them apart allowing each to live.

I still will go after the big ones with aptaisia x but am starting to wonder if I should leave the small ones he and let them police the coral

IMG_2367.jpeg

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be crazy but I don’t completely hate aptaisia. I still remember seeing my first aptaisia growing out of the live rock in my new 24 gallon nano. I actually fed it, not knowing what it was!!!

Don’t get me wrong. I try to eliminate them but investments in bottles of aptaisia X, file fish, copperbands, Klein butterflyfish, peppermint shrimp and nudibranchs have all failed. I keep them at bay but am learning to live with them.

Some look pretty cool (see pic). I also am at the stage in my tank where my corals are overgrowing each other with one tending to kill the other. In some areas small aptaisia grow in the crevices between the coral and are equal opportunity stingers. They singe both corals slightly but then keep them apart allowing each to live.

I still will go after the big ones with aptaisia x but am starting to wonder if I should leave the small ones he and let them police the coral

IMG_2367.jpeg
#reefsquad

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come to an agreement with my aiptasia. I agree to stop trying to kill them with aiptasia x kalk paste etc and in turn they have agreed to stop multiplying. Been working well for almost a year. I have a few large ones but they are kind of hidden. When I was trying to eliminate them I swear at least 2 would show up for every one that I killed.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2367.jpeg

Up to every Reefer how to handle them. I have noticed a correlation between wrasse owners and heavy aiptasia infestation. I believe this is because the wrasses will eat anything that eats aiptasia. I choose to forgo the wrasses, and have no aiptasia in my tanks. But others may enjoy them as you do. No wrong way. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a few of the best are:

Franks F-Aiptasia
Copperband Butterfly
Berghia
Peppermint shrimp from FL or TX

All 4 100% work.

OP
OP
carbasaurus

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Franks F-Aiptasia
Copperband Butterfly
Berghia
Peppermint shrimp from FL or TX

All 4 100% work.
My copperband is a slacker, the wrasses eat the berghia and I have some peppermints auditioning in my refugium. The peppermints are not passing the audition as the aptaisia is quite happy adding itself to my refugium biodiversity

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints are very hit and miss. And why would the copperband go after the aiptasia when there's plenty of food you're probably feeding him already?

Tried filefish?

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess I got lucky because my CopperBand has kept my tank clear of any Aiptasia. I had been battling them for years. I tried everything and they just keep multiplying. It's been around a year that I have had him and the only Aiptasia I get now is in my overflow.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband is a slacker, the wrasses eat the berghia and I have some peppermints auditioning in my refugium. The peppermints are not passing the audition as the aptaisia is quite happy adding itself to my refugium biodiversity

Don’t overfeed your CBB. They will work when they’re hungry.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints are very hit and miss. And why would the copperband go after the aiptasia when there's plenty of food you're probably feeding him already?

Tried filefish?

You need to right species of peps. The ones in the Gulf of Mexico will obliterate Aiptasia.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on wood but I have made use it through over 15 years of reefing without aptasia in my tank. I consider my self very lucky. Not to say my tank is pest free, but one less thing to worry about

When I get few….I instantly go after them. If you slack, they will overrun your system if you don’t get predators in there. I don’t have any in this system at all.

Best thing is to cover them with Franks immediately.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Franks F-Aiptasia chemical eradication is a fail, all of it releases more spores for repopulation when treating. BTDT.
Copperband Butterfly Works, if it survives and isnt scared of its own shadow.
Berghia See Below
Peppermint shrimp from FL or TX No go due to large wrasses

All 4 100% work.

Mixed bag IME with all of that and a LOT of cash burned for trying it all. Best endgame was a fickle filefish in my sps tank and ended up with a second klein butterfly in my softy tank.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on wood but I have made use it through over 15 years of reefing without aptasia in my tank. I consider my self very lucky. Not to say my tank is pest free, but one less thing to worry about
Never noticed aiptasia until this go around since 2015. Previous attempts @ reefing through the early to late 2000's never seen a aiptasia. Majano was alive and well in those days!!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed bag IME with all of that and a LOT of cash burned for trying it all. Best endgame was a fickle filefish in my sps tank and ended up with a second klein butterfly in my softy tank.

Just FYI…it’s not chemical eradication.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI…it’s not chemical eradication.
Alrighty, so what do you consider F aiptasia, joes juice, aiptasia x and smothering with 'kalk paste'.

Those are all man made ingredients designed to 'kill' aiptasia. So let me know what a 'better' word is for your use besides being a chemical method.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, so what do you consider F aiptasia, joes juice, aiptasia x and smothering with 'kalk paste'.

Those are all man made ingredients designed to 'kill' aiptasia. So let me know what a 'better' word is for your use besides being a chemical method.

F-Aiptasia is different than all of them. It doesn’t use chemicals to kill. It just covers the Aiptasia just like if you were covering something with putty, but easier and better.

All of the other products you mentioned work in a different way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back