Ugh, pure stupidity. Please help my hammer

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i was just doing a water change on my 14G, and did something so stupid.

The hose i was using slipped out of my hand, and the suction end of the hose landed right on my beautiful hammer, which recently was doing super well.

I felt a thud through the hose as the suction was cutoff by the hammer coral ;Dead, and i watched a stream of bright green tentacles flow though the hose into my bucket.

IMG_20181202_212347.jpg

This is what the aftermath looks like, fortunately no skeleton was damaged it seems, and it just lost a third of the tentacles.

Will this guy make it? How long will it take?

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral will be fine. You would be surprised to know how many of us have done the same thing. Just give the coral some time.

Thanks for the reassurance. i just feel super bad about it, and it was super puffy and extended recently, now back to square one.

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i was just doing a water change on my 14G, and did something so stupid.

The hose i was using slipped out of my hand, and the suction end of the hose landed right on my beautiful hammer, which recently was doing super well.

I felt a thud through the hose as the suction was cutoff by the hammer coral ;Dead, and i watched a stream of bright green tentacles flow though the hose into my bucket.

IMG_20181202_212347.jpg

This is what the aftermath looks like, fortunately no skeleton was damaged it seems, and it just lost a third of the tentacles.

Will this guy make it? How long will it take?

It hurt me to read this [emoji21] don't beat yourself up though, accidents are going to befall us all every now and then... fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hurt me to read this [emoji21] don't beat yourself up though, accidents are going to befall us all every now and then... fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

thanks. as of now, it looks much puffier and the smaller inner tentacles are extended, covering the skeleton again. doesnt look too unhappy anymore. ill just consider this a haircut for my coral lol

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is doing great now, regained all of its former glory and plumpness. Sorry i dont have a picture on hand though.
I did the same to mine a few months ago, no worries lol. Mines back to normal as well.

Nick blinkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptiasia just attacked a hammer of mine and I’m stressed that 1/4 of it is hurt beyond growing back to the skeleton. seriously over a 24 hr period. Didn’t see it before going to work and come home and BAM, hurt hammer. So here’s to hopes

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptiasia just attacked a hammer of mine and I’m stressed that 1/4 of it is hurt beyond growing back to the skeleton. seriously over a 24 hr period. Didn’t see it before going to work and come home and BAM, hurt hammer. So here’s to hopes

I heard they can grow back even if it just has a bit of flesh left so im sure yours will be fine if you removed the aiptasia and keep things stable

Nick blinkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea he’s dead. Killed with anger and cursing lol hammer got moved lower from light to heal a bit and to ensure the aptasia is fully dead. Scortched earth style lol

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your hammer will recover.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back