Ugly Clams?!

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so after watching a video on YouTube seeing clams filter really dirty water. I have wanted to obtain some "ugly" clams. My thought was to go to a local beach and dig some up and then do transport in a bucket with their water and a pump. Once home testing water parameters SG alk PH depending on result this would determine my drip acclimation time.

Here is my worry....I live in BC Canada. So the Clams I would be obtaining would be from a cooler climate then our tanks....

Is there any possible way to successfully acclimate these clams into our environment?

I'm not talking 10 or 15 only like 3-5 just for biodiversity.

Any information from anyone that knows a lot on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Species of clams I could legally collect are as follows:

Butter Clam
Horse Clam
Little neck Clam
Manila Clam
Softshell Clam
Varnish clam
Razor Clam

Sorry posted in "New to Saltwater" first then saw this. Could admin delete the other one in "New to Saltwater"

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had Octopi I often feed them little neck clams that I bought live at the local grocery stores. The little neck clams did very well in the tank until they became a meal. I put multiple live clams in the tank so the octopus always had an available food source.

My concern with your proposal is that as you mentioned your list contains clams from temperate waters. Possible death of clams secondary to temperature out weighs any filtration benefit the clams may possibly have, especially in a smaller tank.

:)

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so after watching a video on YouTube seeing clams filter really dirty water. I have wanted to obtain some "ugly" clams. My thought was to go to a local beach and dig some up and then do transport in a bucket with their water and a pump. Once home testing water parameters SG alk PH depending on result this would determine my drip acclimation time.

Here is my worry....I live in BC Canada. So the Clams I would be obtaining would be from a cooler climate then our tanks....

Is there any possible way to successfully acclimate these clams into our environment?

I'm not talking 10 or 15 only like 3-5 just for biodiversity.

Any information from anyone that knows a lot on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Species of clams I could legally collect are as follows:

Butter Clam
Horse Clam
Little neck Clam
Manila Clam
Softshell Clam
Varnish clam
Razor Clam

Sorry posted in "New to Saltwater" first then saw this. Could admin delete the other one in "New to Saltwater"
Neat idea, but I'd just focus the effort on other 'filtering' methods. The clams probably won't survive long term (just like catalina gobies shouldn't be in the hobby). Put a small refugium in - macro sucks up the nitrates & phosphates & you get all the pods that help out and become fish food.

OP
OP
Grimreaperz

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah maybe I'll just collect for some clam chowder then.....I know there are other ways to filter water that's only a part of the reason I want them though.....the other parts are mainly out of curiosity and the willingness to experiment...but if there is no way to bring them from their temperature to ours then not worth the risk....

I am planning on moving to a 75gDT
20g Display Fuge
And a 30g sump

I was hoping to have a couple of these species in my Fuge.

As far as ordering them from the states not to sure about that.....figure they would definitely die in shipping....but thanks for yhe link Salty

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah maybe I'll just collect for some clam chowder then.....I know there are other ways to filter water that's only a part of the reason I want them though.....the other parts are mainly out of curiosity and the willingness to experiment...but if there is no way to bring them from their temperature to ours then not worth the risk....

I am planning on moving to a 75gDT
20g Display Fuge
And a 30g sump

I was hoping to have a couple of these species in my Fuge.

As far as ordering them from the states not to sure about that.....figure they would definitely die in shipping....but thanks for yhe link Salty
I got lucky one day at an Asian market here in San Diego. They got a shipment of oysters from the tip of the Baja of Mexico. It had the time and date and location of the fisherman. They had been in ice for less then 12hrs. I scrubbed fresh dipped them while shaking to make sure the didn't open and then placed them in tank water. Of the five I bought three lived for six months until a sponge colony died in my sump.
So far the local mussels from our coast have not survived but I'll probably try again.

And yes. I have a bivalve problem. I have one squamosa and A dozen small clams half dozen tiny oysters and five or six mussels. The largest is about five inches.

My concern is yours are extremely cold water. The Baja coast is just cold pacific temps.

If you try it the Worst case is it's free fish food.

OP
OP
Grimreaperz

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I may have a 10g kicking around I will keep at their temp. And slowly try to bring it up....again worst case free fish/coral food.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back