Ugly phase possible in a established tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TripFamAZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TripFamAZ

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 28, 2023
Messages
153
Reaction score
251
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Have a unique situation question...
I started our saltwater journey three years ago with a peacock mantis shrimp only tank who recently passed.
This past weekend we decided to add a couple clownfish & blenny to the established 55 gallon.
For the past 3 years we did not run artificial lighting. We used natural lighting from a close window that we would open and close the blinds on the daily and supplement with general room light due to the mantis's preference.
With this new addition of fish I have added a 60w reef light.
Love finally running a light but will my tank go through a "ugly phase" now that I'm running lighting I feel like we might have skipped that in the beginning by not running lights?
Anything I might not expect or annoying complication other than a huge uptick in green algae that I can expect?
Thanks in advance!
 
Light plus excess nutrients equals algae, it doesn't matter if its a new tank or old tank.

If I leave my auto feeder on for a week while I am away then I will have algae when I come home, its very common. Any tank can grow algae at any time.

I would suggest the basics.... increased clean up crew and algae grazers and more water changes, it will take some time for the tank to balance out again IMO. Good luck
 
Light plus excess nutrients equals algae, it doesn't matter if its a new tank or old tank.

If I leave my auto feeder on for a week while I am away then I will have algae when I come home, its very common. Any tank can grow algae at any time.

I would suggest the basics.... increased clean up crew and algae grazers and more water changes, it will take some time for the tank to balance out again IMO. Good luck
Thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new