Uh am I crazy?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for sure. He is really thin I noticed, which is part of why I took him, I have a thing for rescues! Ive got a baster to spot feed if I need too and tons of algae. They fed them at the store for me and he was up here competing with other tangs and angels for food that were way bigger than him! Here are some better pictures.
at his size, I would not rely on algea in tank to sustain him. I would feed algea/ frozen at least twice a day. Not necessarily twice as much food into the tank. but less food, more often. Fatten him up. They are also more susceptible to ich, more reason to get him eating well and healthy asap. Do you broadcast feed frozen and nori on a clip?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for sure. He is really thin I noticed, which is part of why I took him, I have a thing for rescues! Ive got a baster to spot feed if I need too and tons of algae. They fed them at the store for me and he was up here competing with other tangs and angels for food that were way bigger than him! Here are some better pictures.

Eyes look clear, color is fine, and fins are intact; he is a little thin but otherwise looks good. If he's been at the lfs for 4 weeks and was re-homed, he's likely free of any treatable issues.

What was/is he eating; I think I'll mention it here since I did see your post about feeding pe mysis to your other lion, and mentioned feeding with a baster. While really small lions can be satisfied feeding foods through a baster or even feeding foods like pe mysis; over the long run they will literally slowly starve to death. Lions will not live very long eating small foods in the water column, and when you do feed with a baster, they literally need to come right up to the baster and continually just eat from the end. After a feeding, you should see a nice little bulge in the belly, lions eat on gorge/fast schedule and should be given time between meals for digestion. They need chunky pieces of food like salmon, scallops, shrimp, and any seafood they will take; including mussels, squid, etc. Stick feeding is a good practice as well as getting them to come up and take the appropriate sized chunks as you drop them in.

Lions are carnivores; high protein, moderate fat, and low carbs. I missed the algae mention, while lions would get green nutrients from the entrails of their prey, they are not grazers.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eyes look clear, color is fine, and fins are intact; he is a little but otherwise looks good. If he's been at the lfs for 4 weeks and was re-homed, he's likely free of any treatable issues.

What was/is he eating; I think I'll mention it here since I did see your post about feeding pe mysis to your other lion, and mentioned feeding with a baster. While really small lions can be satisfied feeding foods through a baster or even feeding foods like pe mysis; over the long run they will literally slowly starve to death. Lions will not live very long eating small foods in the water column, and when you do feed with a baster, they literally need to come right up to the baster and continually just eat from the end. After a feeding, you should see a nice little bulge in the belly, lions eat on gorge/fast schedule and should be given time between meals for digestion. They need chunky pieces of food like salmon, scallops, shrimp, and any seafood they will take; including mussels, squid, etc. Stick feeding is a good practice as well as getting them to come up and take the appropriate sized chunks as you drop them in.
Thank you! My fuzzy is a challenge cause she wont eat anything in a bigger chunk, working on her with the tongs and baster, she just swims away from that and chases water in the water column, any tips for her? Its like she doesnt want any food bigger than a piece of mysis shrimp. The volition is trained on krill from the LFS, Im going to work with him to accept predator food like rods or chunky. I cut rods up for my fuzzy but if the piece is too big shes like nope. I do feed her on fast/gourge with the predator food but she always snags food anyway from the other fish. She does have a belly, just struggling to train her with the tongs or baster if you have any tips on that. Love her, my favorite fish and I want to make sure shes getting the food she needs!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at his size, I would not rely on algea in tank to sustain him. I would feed algea/ frozen at least twice a day. Not necessarily twice as much food into the tank. but less food, more often. Fatten him up. They are also more susceptible to ich, more reason to get him eating well and healthy asap. Do you broadcast feed frozen and nori on a clip?
Yes to both, I have nori clips at both ends of the tank for them, always have two sheets on each for them. He just started picking at the rocks right away so thats a good sign! The tank gets a variety of foods and is heavy on the algae for the tangs!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! My fuzzy is a challenge cause she wont eat anything in a bigger chunk, working on her with the tongs and baster, she just swims away from that and chases water in the water column, any tips for her? Its like she doesnt want any food bigger than a piece of mysis shrimp. The volition is trained on krill from the LFS, Im going to work with him to accept predator food like rods or chunky. I cut rods up for my fuzzy but if the piece is too big shes like nope. I do feed her on fast/gourge with the predator food but she always snags food anyway from the other fish. She does have a belly, just struggling to train her with the tongs or baster if you have any tips on that. Love her, my favorite fish and I want to make sure shes getting the food she needs!

A clear feeding stick is usually better accepted. Krill is absolutely the worst food, it is high in thiaminese, which binds vit B1; and will contribute to an early demise. It is also low in fat which is needed and many times neglected. The problem starting a lion out on krill as their main source early on, is that becomes the only dead food they will take. If that happens the average lifespan is about a year, give or take.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clear feeding stick is usually better accepted. Krill is absolutely the worst food, it is high in thiaminese, which binds vit B1; and will contribute to an early demise. It is also low in fat which is needed and many times neglected. The problem starting a lion out on krill as their main source early on, is that becomes the only dead food they will take. If that happens the average lifespan is about a year, give or take.
Yeah I remember you telling me that before, I dont feed my other lion krill regularly, only here and there to treat the marine betta. And thats what the LFS trained him on, which I need to try and get him on the predator food. And I will look for a clear feeding stick, thats a great idea and I didnt think of it. How would you wean the volition off of the krill? I have a LFS that has feeder shrimp a few times a week so if I need to I can get some there to feed him if I have to.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I remember you telling me that before, I dont feed my other lion krill regularly, only here and there to treat the marine betta. And thats what the LFS trained him on, which I need to try and get him on the predator food. And I will look for a clear feeding stick, thats a great idea and I didnt think of it. How would you wean the volition off of the krill? I have a LFS that has feeder shrimp a few times a week so if I need to I can get some there to feed him if I have to.

The clear feeding stick can be a rigid airline from the lfs, just a few bucks. Cut a 45 degree in one end to pierce what you are feeding and you can bend it into the angles as needed. At first and really small lions, I ran heavy weight fishing line through them and attached chunks to the line. It gives the food more of a wiggle to attract their interest, as well as you can attach smaller pieces of food to the fishing line.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clear feeding stick can be a rigid airline from the lfs, just a few bucks. Cut a 45 degree in one end to pierce what you are feeding and you can bend it into the angles as needed. At first and really small lions, I ran heavy weight fishing line through them and attached chunks to the line. It gives the food more of a wiggle to attract their interest, as well as you can attach smaller pieces of food to the fishing line.
Gotcha I will try that and see. What size chunks do you recommend for the fuzzy?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried feeding him with my tongs he was having none of that, went and hid! Ill need to get some clear tongs tomorrow or something

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some better pictures of the blue hippo! He seems to have scaring and stuff from the previous tank, looks like a rescue fish. Named him Ranger! Now I just gotta fatten him up!

Attachments

• IMG_2553.jpeg
    IMG_2553.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2552.jpeg
    IMG_2552.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 24

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back