Uh am I crazy?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have one lone kenya tree in my 125. Corals seemed not happy in there so I transferred them to my other tank. I think I just figured the issue out… MY PBT is EATING THEM. I had no idea tangs ate coral??? I just watched her take a big ol bite out of it!!! Honestly assumed my regal was nipping them and thats why I transferred them but I just watched her swim by and ignore the coral then freaking Flo decides to take a bite out of it!! What on earth???

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens. Certain tangs will eat coral and that PBT is a notorious customer for it.

Your coral is toast unless its moved.
Oh good to know. Never ran across that in all my hours of researching PBTs! Yeah Ill move it for sure. She really is a PITA but I really really do love her, stunning fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have one lone kenya tree in my 125. Corals seemed not happy in there so I transferred them to my other tank. I think I just figured the issue out… MY PBT is EATING THEM. I had no idea tangs ate coral??? I just watched her take a big ol bite out of it!!! Honestly assumed my regal was nipping them and thats why I transferred them but I just watched her swim by and ignore the coral then freaking Flo decides to take a bite out of it!! What on earth???
I’d personally ditch the PBT altogether, coral munching isn’t rare for this species. Besides there’s nicer fish IMO with just as much of a risk to coral but most commonly turn out harmless.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d personally ditch the PBT altogether, coral munching isn’t rare for this species. Besides there’s nicer fish IMO with just as much of a risk to coral but most commonly turn out harmless.
We've collectively tried that. They don't want to rid of that terror of a fish, so they can/will deal with the problems that come with it.

Its like the demonspawn of a fish. All the bad traits from different genus of fish combined into one package, lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Tangs eat what they acquire a taste for and it often starts with going after loose food particle and gaining a taste for other specimens

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've collectively tried that. They don't want to rid of that terror of a fish, so they can/will deal with the problems that come with it.

Its like the demonspawn of a fish. All the bad traits from different genus of fish combined into one package, lol.
Yeah I really dont want to get rid of her, BUT she is making putting any new fish in down right hard if not impossible AND is now eating my corals??? Ugh. I guess its more of an I feel horrible getting rid of an animal because it has annoying behaviors (just something I struggle with personally when it comes to fish) BUT Im seriously considering re homing and getting a different tang in her place thats not as much of a PITA if anyone has suggestions on that front

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also struggle causes shes so dang beautiful and fun to watch!!! Ugh decisions. Issue is my main LFS wont take any re home tangs, would need to call around and ask

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really dont want to get rid of her, BUT she is making putting any new fish in down right hard if not impossible AND is now eating my corals??? Ugh. I guess its more of an I feel horrible getting rid of an animal because it has annoying behaviors (just something I struggle with personally when it comes to fish) BUT Im seriously considering re homing and getting a different tang in her place thats not as much of a PITA if anyone has suggestions on that front
Why replace with another tang? Why not go for a Foxface or maybe even a gang of wrasses?

I find tangs take up the place of Atleast 2-3 wrasses/smaller species of fish and I know you were wondering about adding other wrasses :)

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why replace with another tang? Why not go for a Foxface or maybe even a gang of wrasses?

I find tangs take up the place of Atleast 2-3 wrasses/smaller species of fish and I know you were wondering about adding other wrasses :)
Ive got a foxface, so I guess I have the algae control. Shes the only tang out of my 3 that actually picks at a lot of the algae, my yellow and purple prefer to just eat off the nori clip. Foxface doesnt seem to pick at rocks so much either and goes for the clip (plenty of algae so I dont get that at all!). Thinking maybe a bristletooth would be good instead of her? I would then not have to stock around this one fish. She sure is beautiful though… ugh. Love her light blue coloring, thats what Im most attracted to!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 I know you recommended if I wanted to keep her to put her in a tank she has to herself, how big would that have to be to for her to be comfortable and happy?
It would have to be at the bare minimum 5’ long but ideally 6’ is best if you want a decent scape of rock.

If you can make an infinity loop then 4’ may be an option but you risk stressing the fish a bit too much.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have to be at the bare minimum 5’ long but ideally 6’ is best if you want a decent scape of rock.

If you can make an infinity loop then 4’ may be an option but you risk stressing the fish a bit too much.
Yeah I would rather give her the space she needs vs cramming her in a small tank just to keep her. Ill think about re homing and call LFS to see if they will take her. Maybe Ill try to sell her and use the money for another fish I want but couldnt put with her. Or just add the eel I wanted and call it good. Her picking at corals also is irritating because I wanted a reef tank in the six foot!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also beginning to see why they are referred to demonspawn.. she was a chill fish when I first got her and I added a purple tang and regal angel after her with no issues. Now shes a like a different fish… will seriously consider re homing, guess I had to learn why they are not super popular the hard way

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I might suggest that a tang in a nice tank can also be interesting - much like people keep a large koi or Oscar as a pet in a tank.... Of course I'm not recommending this. Just giving you an option. But - I want to raise a question - is the fish eating the Kenya tree?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might suggest that a tang in a nice tank can also be interesting - much like people keep a large koi or Oscar as a pet in a tank.... Of course I'm not recommending this. Just giving you an option. But - I want to raise a question - is the fish eating the Kenya tree?
You know, not sure if shes eating it or just biting it. Either way its super unhappy and shes going after it!
What do you feed the pb?
I feed her nori on a clip thats there 24/7, hikiri mega algae, sprinila brine shrimp mix, pe mysis and occasionally blood worms since my regal loves those. Also feed reef frenzi herbavore and regular (alternating) in a mix of food with selcon, garlic, and viti chem

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 I know you recommended if I wanted to keep her to put her in a tank she has to herself, how big would that have to be to for her to be comfortable and happy?
I CC would not do less than a 75/90 gallon and even 125g
I rarely see them calm down and that circular hovering they do around other fish makes you want to pan fry them
I would make this the only tang in a Fowler setup with other fish such as larger angel, trigger such as blue throat and similar

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I CC would not do less than a 75/90 gallon and even 125g
I rarely see them calm down and that circular hovering they do around other fish makes you want to pan fry them
I would make this the only tang in a Fowler setup with other fish such as larger angel, trigger such as blue throat and similar
Yep shes starting to do that crap with Chip, my baby yellow tang. Shes getting mean with him. Any recommendations on how to get her out?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back