Ukb 120 or uks 160 for 55 gal with fleece roller?

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an impulse buy last night of the uks-160 protein skimmer! I have been convinced based on reviews that this is a nice skimmer, but I'm wondering if it's oversized for my system. The question is if I should cancel real quick and get the smaller ukb-120 instead?

I'm currently setting up a new system that is 55gal with a 20 gal sump. I have a reefmat fleece roller and plan to have a refugium too. Plan is for a mixed reef with 5-10 fish. Anyone have either skimmer or suggestions based on my size tank? Thanks!

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer is a little oversized but it can do well in the tank. It might skim a little on the light side until you have a larger bioload. The wider neck and larger body is designed for more foam, and a light fish load might struggle to produce it.

You have 3 options with a light bioload
- you can adjust the skimmer to make more skimmate but it will be a little watery, and you will need to empty more often (watch salinity as these frequent emptyings can add up)

-you can have the skimmate be thicker and more foamy/dry, but the collection cup will take longer to fill

Your third option is to add more fish and feed fish/coral more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back