Roller Mat - Fleece Advance Length?

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a Red Sea Reefmat in my newer system (IM EXT 200g Peninsula). First time with a roller mat, and I have it set to auto-advance. Am I correct in assuming that increasing the mat advance length will increase uptake of nutrients before they breakdown? The instructions don't specify what adjusting the mat advance length does. The default was set to 1-1.2 inches each time it advances. Essentially, in theory, would a longer advance length decrease nutrients more than a shorter advance length?

Rusty Shakleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 170 ext and use the manual advance function to control nutrients. It advances once daily to act more like a filter sock. The big difference for me was using non Red Sea fleece rolls. Do a search, and you’ll find all the contact information. You can buy a lighter weight fleece. Went from using a roll in several days to several weeks on auto.

OP
OP
P

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 170 ext and use the manual advance function to control nutrients. It advances once daily to act more like a filter sock. The big difference for me was using non Red Sea fleece rolls. Do a search, and you’ll find all the contact information. You can buy a lighter weight fleece. Went from using a roll in several days to several weeks on auto.
So, advancing it once per day as you do right now, do you think you think you're removing *more* nutrients?

Rusty Shakleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I found I was removing so much I had to start dosing nitrate. Advancing it once a day with skimmer seems to keep nitrates at 5-10. It would seem to me as long as everything is going through the fleece, IE automatic mode, you’ll trap max particles for the weight of your fleece. If you’re still having nutrient problems in automatic, maybe more wet skimming? I also run an algae reactor and have found it to be effective.

OP
OP
P

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I found I was removing so much I had to start dosing nitrate. Advancing it once a day with skimmer seems to keep nitrates at 5-10. It would seem to me as long as everything is going through the fleece, IE automatic mode, you’ll trap max particles for the weight of your fleece. If you’re still having nutrient problems in automatic, maybe more wet skimming? I also run an algae reactor and have found it to be effective.
Okay, thanks. I think I'm going to do the experiment and see if increasing/decreasing the advance length on automatic effects my NO3.

OP
OP
P

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, so you do the "scheduled advance" rather than "auto"? And what length for that once a day advance?

Rusty Shakleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, advance 12” once a day when using Red Sea rolls. Found this keeps my nitrates 5-10. When I used auto, found I was going through a roll every two weeks and nitrates went down to zero.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back