Tank: 240g (8x2x2) Mixed Reef
Frag Tank: 60g (2x2x2)plumbed together
Sump: Approx. 80g total water volume(only half full)
Xenia Refugium: Approx. 30g
2 Skimmers: 6"x30" Beckett Style w/Panworld 100PXX and 6"x30" Needlewheel/Sicce PSK2500 (skimmers are off, but remained plumbed to the system incase of an emergency)
Supplements: Kalk/ATO and 2 cups of
BRS Calcium Chloride and Baking soda dosed per week.
I've been skimmer less off and on for the past decade. However, for the past several years I will only turn them on for a week at a time 3 or 4 times a year for a large water change. The primary filtration is provided by a Xenia fuge. I have found that the skimmer is in direct competition with the Xenia fuge, and even now when I turn my skimmer on, the skimmer will only pull a decent amount of skimmate for a day or so. However after a couple of weeks with the skimmer on I start to see less polyp extension, and more algae in the system. I achieve my best SPS coloration with the skimmer off.
I wouldn't recommend doing it cold turkey. Once you have found your new primary filtration source, slowly acclimate your system off the skimmer.