Ultimate Utilitarian Fish Team

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I will be setting up a 500-600 litre mixed reef tank. So, I want to know what fish I can keep to keep algae and pests out of my tank. I will keep a trio of tangs and some wrasses. The ones that I have in mind are:
A) Tang Trio:
1) Tomini Tang
2) Yellow Tang
3) Purple Tang
B) Wrasse:
1) Yellow Coris Wrasse
These are the ones that I currently have in mind, I might add another tang, I am not sure. But I really want some more wrasses that will keep pests out of my tank. If there are any other that look nice, please let me know, thank you so much!

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I kinda did something similar in my 70g reef.

2 clowns (useless but i like them)
White tail tang
One spot foxface
Lawnmower blenny
Pinkstreak wrasse
Cleaner shrimp
Lots of snails

i never had an ugly phase and i atarted with just the white tail, pods and snails. I have diatoms on the glass that i scrape once or twice a week but nothing egregious.

one issue with your tang trio is i think the 2 zebras may fight. A 3rd one may help agression

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda did something similar in my 70g reef.

2 clowns (useless but i like them)
White tail tang
One spot foxface
Lawnmower blenny
Pinkstreak wrasse
Cleaner shrimp
Lots of snails

i never had an ugly phase and i atarted with just the white tail, pods and snails. I have diatoms on the glass that i scrape once or twice a week but nothing egregious.

one issue with your tang trio is i think the 2 zebras may fight. A 3rd one may help agression
Clownfishes are a mandatory for almost all tanks in my opinion :). What do you think of the white tail tang? Also does the fox face bother lps corals? And finally, so the pink streaked wrasse look better in person than in videos?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clownfishes are a mandatory for almost all tanks in my opinion :). What do you think of the white tail tang? Also does the fox face bother lps corals? And finally, so the pink streaked wrasse look better in person than in videos?

I just got my foxface and he was skinny. I havent seen him pick or poke at any coral but im not there most the day. Everything LPS wise is fully extended since i got him. I do have an auto feeder that feeds 2x a day then I put nori in for everyone to ignore and feed frozen a couple times a week.

I absolutely love the pink streak wrasse as they are super peaceful but I dont ever see him. He hides in a cave all day every day right now but hoping he gets more adventurous at some point. I think my white tail is too spazzy for him lol. I personally like how they look but I can see it being more dull than people would want. If i had sand I would have probably gone with another species but im bare bottom so my options were limited

My White Tail is absolutely stunning and also the biggest butthead to my Lawnmower lol. He is peaceful with everything but my lawnmower, pure rage towards him lol.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my foxface and he was skinny. I havent seen him pick or poke at any coral but im not there most the day. Everything LPS wise is fully extended since i got him. I do have an auto feeder that feeds 2x a day then I put nori in for everyone to ignore and feed frozen a couple times a week.

I absolutely love the pink streak wrasse as they are super peaceful but I dont ever see him. He hides in a cave all day every day right now but hoping he gets more adventurous at some point. I think my white tail is too spazzy for him lol. I personally like how they look but I can see it being more dull than people would want. If i had sand I would have probably gone with another species but im bare bottom so my options were limited

My White Tail is absolutely stunning and also the biggest butthead to my Lawnmower lol. He is peaceful with everything but my lawnmower, pure rage towards him lol.
I see thank you so much!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back