Ultra Rose Anemone help

urfavoritehoboinkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 5 gal Fluval Spec, with a 2.5 gal macro fuge, Kalk ATO, Current Loop LEDs & 8 various Rapid LEDs cyan, blue, & UV. So it looked great for 2 months, tank ran through some stability issues lost almost all the SPS. The anemone pulled through still looking good, beyond tips no longer being bulb shaped. I'm aware it has nothing to do with health just how they feel like presenting themselves. The last month parameters have remained very stable besides a lack of Nitrate. Actually been dosing NeoNitro & the SPS that survived are looking great! The anemone is not bleached actually has become dull & or brown not very vibrant. It is remaining very small, the end of the day it shrivels up with its mouth open. It has its spot it's remained in since day one but has been moving in a 2 inch radius of that spot. Could my baby lightning clown be stressing it, I added a UV Led to my supplement LEDs about 3 weeks ago almost directly above it, or something else?
Tank Stats recent avg.
pH 8.3, NO3 2, Alk 10.5, Ca 460, Mg 1450
Loop is 45W, 100B, RG 40 for daylight about 8 hrs, 8 Rapid LEDs (@25%) Royal blue, Ultra Marine Blue, Blue, UV about 7.5 hours.

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a picture of before and what it looks like now?

How long have you had it?

OP
OP
urfavoritehoboinkc

urfavoritehoboinkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first two were from April the last is as of today.

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

OP
OP
urfavoritehoboinkc

urfavoritehoboinkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To much light is just as bad as not enough. Are you having large swings in parameters?
Honestly parameters have been very stable for such a small tank, two months of kalkwasser has prevented swings between the old manual dosing. Temperature is consistent with an ice probe as a safety net of it gets too warm & that's rare.

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I would have to guess, I would say it is lighting and/or light spectrum. The tentacles are also significantly shorter and there appear to be less tentacles. It appears it is not getting enough nutrition (from lighting/and or supplemental feeding) to sustain its previous size/condition.

The clown being about the same size as the anemone could also stress the anemone if the clown is overly aggressive with it, bouncing in and out.

How long did you have the anemone before the April pics? What lighting was it under prior to being introduced to your tank?

OP
OP
urfavoritehoboinkc

urfavoritehoboinkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April is when I got the anemone, the clown followed a few weeks later. The LFS had it under LED/T5s, Current loop led is what I've had all along. 2 months ago added the rapid leds have only ramped them up to 25% & 3 weeks ago swaped a Royal blue for a UV. I use Aqua vitro Salinity salt, pellet food, reef frenzy nano, reef roids, 0yster feast, acropower, phytoplankton.

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the difference in lighting is probably the issue. They will become different under different lighting setups.

OP
OP
urfavoritehoboinkc

urfavoritehoboinkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather then dismantle & rewire the Rapid LEDs I just made a light diffuser from folding plastic wrap. I also played home wrecker blocking the clown out with eggcrate. The anemone was open as the lights came on earlier but this evening it was completely balled up still attached. So fingers crossed it's unhappy with one of these two conditions.

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine the eggcrate will be reducing flow to it and it might need to get use to it (even though eggcrate has pretty nice sized openings).

How long is your photoperiod?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back