Ultraviolet Sand sweeper

larrysaltisfun

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2025
Messages
821
Reaction score
495
Location
outer banks NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m wondering if this is just another example of money down the drain. can anyone tell me if they have experience using the UV sand sweeper? Specifically, is the light supposed to fluoresce white or is it actually ultraviolet in color ? Mine looks like a fluorescent white T5 bulb.

the owner of 3-D reef is slow to respond.
 
I recall that it depends:

Ultraviolet (UV) light itself is technically invisible and colorless to the human eye because its wavelength falls outside our visual spectrum. [1]
However, depending on the bulb type and filter, they appear in different ways when turned on:

Visible Glow and Colors
    • Purple or Violet Glow: Most consumer UV-A blacklights (designated as BLB or blacklight blue) use a dark purple filter glass to block most visible light, leaving a dim, characteristic violet glow. Some LED UV bulbs (such as 395nm options) also emit a clear visible purple light. [1, 2, 3]
    • Blue Glow: Standard blacklight tubes without a special purple filter (designated as BL, often used in bug zappers) emit more visible light and appear blue. [1]
    • Clear or White: Some specialized UV or germicidal lamps use clear quartz or glass tubes that look transparent or emit a faint white/blueish light when active, though the actual germicidal UV rays remain invisible. Users on Quora agree that confirming UV emission requires checking the manufacturer's wavelength specifications (such as nanometers or UVA/UVC ratings) rather than relying on the visible color
 
Thanks do you have any experience with this particular product/ bulb?
Nope, I can't vouch for or against it. I just recall that many light sources can produce UV wavelengths, the bulbs made for sterilization are not safe to look at!
It's not the answer you are looking for, I just wanted to encourage you to avoid looking at the light source to prevent eye damage if it is working!
 
I and many on the forum here own and have used it. It works very very well! Make sure to follow @Moe K instructions for use. After use dose tropic Marin nitribiotic bacteria to out compete Dino’s or whatever your treating.
 
I bought one and it did help. If you go over the sand slowly the algae on the sand did go away.i had to give it several treatments and it could have been the normal uglies just running their course, but the sand sweeper uv seemed to help. Luckily ive not needed to use it in some time, but good to know it’s available if needed.

If you have access to a 3d printer, I think you can find the stl file online free or pretty cheap, the you can buy the same type of uv bulb on Amazon or way fair for like $15.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new