Ulva issues

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is probably the opposite of what many in this forum deal with.
I have a system that has been a real pain since I set the system up 3 years ago.
I have a plague of ulva in my display. I am trying to eradicate it but I can’t seem to get ahead of it.
I have been carbon dosing, skimming, started a refugium of which has been lit 24/7, run filter socks and run uv 24/7 as well as weekly water changes
Nitrates are at times zero to 2-3
Phosphate 0.0-.05
Tests done daily with Hanna checkers
Can ulva be this resistant to low nutrients?
I have no fish currently in the display due to a velvet breakout but will be adding again in a couple weeks when qt timeframe is up. This system has fought me since day one with about every dilemma possible.
anyone have ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4472.MOV
    69.6 MB

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOmeone once said: Ulva is a treat for Herbivores

lg-77477-foxface-lo.jpg

I think LiveAquaria ships from Wisconsin? Or maybe a tang?

I have some that has shown up in my garage tank and I am thinking I will get a tang or foxface for the same purpose.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO any big herbivore fish should clear that up pretty fast. I would expect any tang to take it out but a foxface or rabbit fish 100% will remove it all. The only hard part with rabbits or foxface is they may go after some types of corals too. But I have found they will go after algae, like various caulerpa, that no one else will touch. So, if you plan to add a herbivore fish in the tank in a few weeks, I wouldn't worry. It will go away.

If you are not wanting a fish like that, consider a small urchin or a few. They are very heavy algae feeders.

Out of all possible issues, this one is not so bad. Ulva is not going to sting all of your corals. If it grows tall enough to block corals you should be able to pull out a handful to remove. I think it is a very pretty green that is a bright contrast on your rocks, and really, once you add some type of algae eating fish or invert it should get taken care of. I guess I am trying to say I would not personally spend too much energy worrying about ulva algae. There are probably much more detrimental things in the tank to worry about ;)

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My tangs never seemed interested in it but a few large turbo snails took care of it for me. Best of luck :)

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, got a macroalgae display tank, the Ulva gets very dominant. My blue Powder Tang doesn´t touch the Ulva at all, but he likes the other macroalgaes tough.
Since i mostly got macros, i try to outcompete the Ulva with a ton of other macroalgaes.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back