Ummmm check this pump out! Wow!

Would you like to have an Abyzz pump powering your system?

• Yes

Votes: 172 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 53 14.7%
  • Don’t know that much about this brand

Votes: 136 37.7%

• Total voters

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not buying a 63 Corvette, BUT I would If I could....Did anyone hit the Power-Ball? ;)
images

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a pilot as my "other" hobby, I'd like to try out this one as a ducted fan on a sport/experimental plane. If it runs on 24 VDC, it theoretically would provide thrust with mods to the blade pitch for air rather than water. Looks almost like a jet engine!

Look at these model turbines

http://www.kingtechturbinesaustralia.com.au/

Look familiar?
The do not run on 24V. Line voltage.

GJak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never understood the price point on the abyzz pumps to be honest. Are they amazing, awesome, quiet, powerful, and built well? Maybe. But you could replace a decent pump that also moves water just the same multiple times for the same money.

Just something for people to splurge on, as if the hobby isn't expensive enough....

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree the price is not worth it.

The pump I have moves way more water than I would need, cost $65 on amazon, is adjustable, quiet and runs cool. If it lasted me for 6 months, I could buy enough pumps for 20+ years with the Abyzz money.

But, I have one of the same brand pumps on my pond that is the 12000 liter model. It has been abused so badly and is on it's 4th season (after being used on a 125 reef for 4 years and then given to me) coming up and shows now signs of slowing down. It has even gotten ice locked more than once.

I will run the upcoming 240 from the same brand and never think twice about it.

Just my .02

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But these are silent.

Understood, and agreed.
Lifetime warranty.

Thought it was 10 years?
Highest quality components out there.

That's entirely subjective LOL
Insane head pressure.

That may be - likely no better than a good AC external though.
I've seen hammerheads, darts, reeflos, and everything you imagine fall apart. Never these.

Well, all those you mention ARE Reeflo pumps - and I agree that they don't hold up. There are other brands that DO hold up though. Not sure the Abyzz has been around long enough to know about Long-evity …. maybe medium-evity

Still doesn't add up the $2,600 for me though - YMMV

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, and agreed.

Thought it was 10 years?

That's entirely subjective LOL

That may be - likely no better than a good AC external though.

Well, all those you mention ARE Reeflo pumps - and I agree that they don't hold up. There are other brands that DO hold up though. Not sure the Abyzz has been around long enough to know about Long-evity …. maybe medium-evity

Still doesn't add up the $2,600 for me though - YMMV

You sir, are correct in all the above.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really annoys me when people say ‘you could replace x amounts of a cheaper pump with the cost of a single Abyzz’

Firstly, that’s x amount of potential tank crashes that could have been avoided.

Secondly, anyone who can afford the Abyzz can also afford to a system like Apex to alert them when the pump has failed.

Third, why waste resources on multiple products if you can afford one that lasts as long as a number of others. Great more landfill.

So.. would you rather get x amounts of alerts on your phone when your on holidays or at work to say your pump has failed or just buy the Abyzz and probably never worry about it.

To my mind of you have the $$ then it’s a no brainer. Buy the best you can afford it’s the number one piece of advice you give to new reefers.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need this pump. It's not designed for us, it's designed for monster tanks.

This I know. My post was a bad attempt at playful sarcasm. I guess my attempt failed. LOL

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked At the Abyzz return pump for my 2 aquariums. I have a fish room that is 45 feet from my 250 gallon tank. I also have a 130 gallon which is 25 feet from my fish room. I have a concrete in floor sump pit which is 4 feet deep in my fish room. Both tanks are plumbed into the same sump pit. When I did the calculations for head loss I was easily at 16 feet of head loss on the 250 gallon and 12 feet on the 130 gallon. I would have needed 2 Abyzz pumps. Now my return plumbing which runs under the floor is 2 - 1.5” and my drains are 3 - 2” to each tank. Instead I went with 4 DCP-20000. I get an insane amount of flow to and from my tanks. I even put the Vivid Aquariums flow nozzles on the returns. My thoughts were I have dual pump redundancy on both tanks. If a pump goes bad I can shutoff flow at the pump to keep that return from siphoning water back to the sump. Also I’m only running the pumps at 65%. I can also easily swap pumps from one system to the other.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it has been said that the pictured pump is like the ECM63, but it is like the ECM75 or even larger. The 63 costs about 2K and is still very strong, but is fine in a 300g tank or so (i love mine, WWC and Jason fox run a bunch of them). The ECM75 is the one that is like 5K and meant for public aquariums.

I am not even getting into the "Is Abyzz work it" discussion lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back