Un-Plumbing a Sump

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nerve of some people these days and what they call craftsmanship is beyond incomprehensible!

I would cut out all that corrugated pipe(causes air to be trapped in the corrugations), and just hard plumb it without the "P" trap design. Should fix 90% of your problems.
He charged extra for the P traps.
Something about mitigating sewer gases from entering the display tank.

:p

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, in the meantime, You can try lifting the sagging section of the hose so its fixed like this and all running downhill.
I did the same thing with my first tank as i had this same issue with the same hoses.

Just used some picture frame wire to hang it from thumb tacs.
I did a similar setup (don't have a pic right now) where the ptrap was reduced significantly and I'm already seeing improvements in the flow issue. I lowered the tank water level as to not cause a flood - although I can't get it to quite cascade yet, my overflow box is around half full now instead of near flooded. The return sump area stopped draining fully within minutes in eco-mode. I put a piece of tape where the original waterline was, went to bed, in the morning it dropped roughly 3 inches or so? Tried to top off but came home to the same result after a very long day at work (12hrs).
Wow that is just plain shoddy craftsmanship. I would be calling that guy and giving him a piece of my mind, and I would not be nice about it! If he's a professional installer and he left it that way........ The comment about hard plumbing causing more noise then corrugated alone would have me throwing him out of my house! Thats common sense! Something with corrugations will cause water to fall and trap air in the corrugations, where as hard piping is smooth and water travels through it smoothly.

The nerve of some people these days and what they call craftsmanship is beyond incomprehensible!

I would cut out all that corrugated pipe(causes air to be trapped in the corrugations), and just hard plumb it without the "P" trap design. Should fix 90% of your problems.
I will never call him for this work again. I didn't feel great about what I saw when he installed it, but I also had never plumbed a sump before and he'd been in the hobby for years. I should have listened to my gut. I'm very intimidated by plumbing but I need to give this repair a shot myself.
Also, GET RID OF THE METAL HOSE CLAMPS!!! They will rust and contaminate your tank.
Will do! Thank you for the heads up!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is easy. The trick is to dry fit everything before you glue. And keep in mind when your dry fitting as opposed to gluing, your pipes will go into fittings a little further when glued. Just measure from the shoulder(where the inserted pipe stops in the fitting), to end of the fitting and add that to the length of your pipe.

IE.
I need a 6 inch pipe that goes a 1/2 inch into 2 fittings = 7 inch pipe. Easy peasy.

May seem daunting, but once you get the hang of cutting the correct pipe size, it's just a matter of fitting and glueing.

Back