Unable to change RKL outputs

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that this has come up before but here's the scenario. Bought a used RLK with PB4 on here a few weeks ago. It arrived and looked to be in great condition. I finally got my quarantine tank set up and was ready to program my heater, chiller, etc. The problem is I can't change any of the users previous settings. I was able to change the clock and the status light in the PB4 is green. I tried a factory reset that appeared to go through but all the settings remained and I still can't change them. Whenever I got to the module setting and select the PB4 to change things the blue light on #1 of the control panel flashes blue. I make my changes, select "save" and then go back to the main menu only to find out NOTHING CHANGED. Please don't suggest I change to an Apex or another system. This is a standby quarantine tank and I don't plan to dump a bunch of cash into a controller for it. I have been using RKLs on my main tank for years and have had no issues what so ever. I'm familiar with the system in general as far as programing etc but this one has me stumped.

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have checked to see if it needs any firmware updates on the modules are the RKL itself? Have you tried changing things in myReef to see if it will change there?

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have checked to see if it needs any firmware updates on the modules are the RKL itself? Have you tried changing things in myReef to see if it will change there?

I haven’t yet but I planned to. I assumed since I bought it used and it looked newer that it would’ve been done already. Unfortunately Digital Aquatics doesn’t offer any of that support for Mac users so I have to take everything apart and take it to my buddy’s to use his computer.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Archon it doesn't matter whether it is a computer or an iPad. I use my iPad most of the time even to update the Archon. So far they have not done any module updates. I will think they just do it in the Archon itself if needed for a specific module. Of course this doesn't help on the RKL. If forgot to ask does the clock run or is it stuck on a specific time?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good. I had one the clock quit on. It was toast. I just added the PC4 to the RKE.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of added information. I just realized that typically while changing the settings from the head unit it will display CH1, CH2, CH3, and CH4 however, mine shows titles i.e. "UV light" "HOB filter" and a couple others (I'm not right in front of it anymore)

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need to be on my reef to reset it? Will I be able to do so if it was programmed by someone else?
Programming in myReef is different than firmware updates. You have to hook up the computer to a running system via the SID. You can rename the outputs then.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will I be able to disable the myreef settings and control the PC4 via the headunit? I don’t have any non-Mac computers so I have to go to a friends place just to use the myreef to hopefully start over.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will I be able to disable the myreef settings and control the PC4 via the headunit? I don’t have any non-Mac computers so I have to go to a friends place just to use the myreef to hopefully start over.
You should be able to change the programming either way. You have to use myReef to change the names. Even with the names you should still be able to change the programming. You can also do an interrupted firmware update on the PB4 to put it back to factory values. Directions are on DA's forum

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried doing a factory reset from the head unit and even though it went through the steps, it never actually reset. I can not change any of the names or parameters (for instance changing "CH1" to heater) currently from the head unit alone. unless it actually is changing without changing the title that was entered in my reef which I will test possibly in the morning

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way to change the names from the head unit itself. A interrupted firmware update is not the same as a factory reset. A factory reset will not change the names. That has to be done with myReef via programming are a interrupted update. With a interrupted update the RKL will see the PB4 as a different PB4 all together.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post the link to interrupted update instructions when I get home tonight.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post the link to interrupted update instructions when I get home tonight.
That would be awesome. I clicked around for a while last night but didn't find anything. I registered to post in the forum but was told that I had to be approved by the admin before I could continue. I don't know how long that normally takes. You've been a great help so far, thank you!

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here is the link
Awesome thank you! I will definitely look into this over the weekend. I did find out that despite the title of the Channels not changing, the programming of the actual channel is taking working. I.E. channel labeled “hob filter” programmed to heater set to 77 degrees is functioning properly. So it’s only a matter of renaming the channels to reflect what they are actually programmed for. Thank you for all of your help!!

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need to be on my reef to reset it? Will I be able to do so if it was programmed by someone else?
Yes you go to my reef update all modules and head unit and program all from my reef this will change any settings that had previosly been done and you can rename everything to your likeing and needs.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you need to do is change the names I would not do a interrupted update. Get myReef up on a computer. Then hook the SID to the computer. Once the computer recognizes the SID then hook the SID up to the RKL while it is running. The modules should show up on the tree on the left. Select the module then the output. There should be a place to rename the output. I don't remember where on the screen. It has been awhile since I have used myReef. Hope this helps.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back