is it adequate packaging

• Total voters

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it acceptible to ship zoas in the winter time to a location whose weather is 40-36 degrees.
in a usps box packed with newspaper and sealed 100% with tape with a heatpack inside?

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have shipped in the winter with a heat pack. Not all heat packs are created equally though so it is important to check the max temperature the heat pack gets to. I have the 72 hour heat packs that don't tend to run as hot. I also tape the heat pack to the top of the box wrapped in newspaper so it is not directly touching the corals. ALso a smaller box will tend to get warmer. The only problem I have had is when someone shipped me zoas in the summer with a heat pack and the water temp got really warm. Zoas tend to be hardier in general and tend to tolerate the temp fluctuations of shipping better. I have had more issues in the winter getting sps shipped to me and the bags being too cold.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the 72hr packs taped to the top of the box. The only other thing I would recommend is lining the box with styrofoam to help insulate the box. A heat pack won't do much good in cold weather if there's no insulation to prevent the heat from escaping.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with a heat pack you may be OK as long as the heat pack cannot get damp. It would be suggested to get a styro lined box of some sort, even if it is a thin lining.

Now -30 or -40 degrees where I am from can get tricky. Those with 40 degree temps don't know what cold is...lol. It is possible to ship stuff to ND in the winter with a good styro box and heat pack. Been there, done that so as long as its packed well you will be fine.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think people are grasping what you're saying.

From my understanding, there was NO insulation beyond the box and some newspaper. This is not acceptable, even during warmer months!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of some people shipping zoas in film containers with wet paper towels... Some corals are super hardy and can take almost anything.

OP
OP
N

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From my understanding, there was NO insulation beyond the box and some newspaper. This is not acceptable, even during warmer months!

yes you are correct

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if un insulated then no thats not good, I use insulated boxes no matter what time of year it is.....I think everyone else does too, I have never received corals in an un insulated box from anyone

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the mentioned issues might be that the box was completely sealed. Do heat packs require oxygen?

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree100% I have shipped zoa in a cooller shipping box with no heat pack and made it.

Did your zoas make it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back