Unbeatable Green Hair Algae - what do I try next?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I saw a sea hare was in the wild. I was surf fishing after a tropical storm, and this baseball glove looking thing came swimming by. It was flapping its whole body, but definitely moving purposefully. I was shocked and confused. Great animal!
Thats cool! Ive never seen Leon swim! My guy is a dolebella (how ever that spelled). He is so fun to watch. He is great at climbing rocks but not glass. So he gets all the way to the top of the glass and finds something yummy and forgets to hold on and falls lol. He is hilarious. Also OP I got mine used to touch by picking mine up occasionally and touching him so he gets used to me and in the event I have to pick him up he wont release his toxin!

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for a water source?
Up until now I’ve been using RODI and pre-mixed salt water from my LFS. They use Aquaforest Reef Salt.

I’ve had their water ICP tested and, other then some silicates (which aren’t super high), it’s quite clean

I did buy my own 5-stage RODI I’m setting up today. Intend to make my own water moving forward

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Sounds like you are taking the right steps. You tried to treat the problem, but now its time to figure out the source of the problem extra nutrients. Looks like you are looking at the water. It could be that the rock you used was full of phosphates and are leeching them into the water giving the algae the food they need to grow.

If you can get it knocked back enough to give the livestock a chance to keep up with it.
I have in the past pulled rocks and sprayed them with peroxide. Even going so far as covering them with a towel soaked in peroxide to give longer contact time.

Also look at what/amount you are feeding the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back