Under Tank Lighting Recommendations - 0-10v controllable

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, after 2-1/2 years and and a 1500 mile move across the country, I'm finally ready to setup my tank, woohoo! I've decided to go with a complete CoralVue Hydros/Wave Engine environment. Now I'm looking for under-tank lights that I can control with the Hydros Control4 0-10v control system. Does anyone have experience with "under tank" lighting for the sump area? This is not a refugium light, just something to illuminate the general area for showing off or working in there. LED strips would be easy if possible.

Thanks!

-Billy

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone, after 2-1/2 years and and a 1500 mile move across the country, I'm finally ready to setup my tank, woohoo! I've decided to go with a complete CoralVue Hydros/Wave Engine environment. Now I'm looking for under-tank lights that I can control with the Hydros Control4 0-10v control system. Does anyone have experience with "under tank" lighting for the sump area? This is not a refugium light, just something to illuminate the general area for showing off or working in there. LED strips would be easy if possible.

Thanks!

-Billy
There are many - 'stick-on' LED's with simple switches that can be mounted on the edge of the inside of the stand. It doesn't need to be automated. There are also some that turn on when you open the cabinet. I would not worry about using that functionality with your 'controller'

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use a tape strip from Best Buy that has a remote to change colors

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it were me, I would use a hue light strip since my house is on hues already.... I would just find something that works easily with whatever ecosystem you have, so you don't have to open 3 different apps to turn on a light.

If i understand the hydros correctly, you should be able to use any led strip with the wifi power strip. Fine tuning it might be on a different app.

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if the link will work, from amazon search "iot relay digital loggers"
1631558044238.png

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on something similar, but instead will be using cabinet switches that activate when the door is opened. no fancy 0-10V, just a 24V LED strip with the door switch wired in.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it were me, I would use a hue light strip since my house is on hues already.... I would just find something that works easily with whatever ecosystem you have, so you don't have to open 3 different apps to turn on a light.

If i understand the hydros correctly, you should be able to use any led strip with the wifi power strip. Fine tuning it might be on a different app.
You are correct. The powerstrip can control on/off but I'd like to geek out and have more control.

Delloman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Gro it uses apex 12v plug but has a power supply option its just on or off anyways and for a refugium light that's all I really need my Chito had not had light for almost 2 weeks and was looking bad 3 days under the grow and back to 100% and it gives me all the under cab light I need and with my phone I con always turn it on if it's in the off hours

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are correct. The powerstrip can control on/off but I'd like to geek out and have more control.
I am going to give you a contrarian viewpoint. When (if) your apex or EBB fails. A light under the tank is a very helpful thing. Having it actually on the apex all the time - IMHO - not so much. OH - and yes - this recommendation comes from personal experience x2

Delloman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I have other lights I can turn on if the apex/internet are down I also keep ryobi lights close by for the gro the apex is just a timer.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on something similar, but instead will be using cabinet switches that activate when the door is opened. no fancy 0-10V, just a 24V LED strip with the door switch wired in.
Now you've got me thinking! I'm an A/V engineer that has a whole Crestron system including magnetic door sensors. I just checked and Crestron actually has an RGBW controller! I could use a door sensor trigger the controller to turn on. It would be really expensive and complete overkill but that's what we do right?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now you've got me thinking! I'm an A/V engineer that has a whole Crestron system including magnetic door sensors. I just checked and Crestron actually has an RGBW controller! I could use a door sensor trigger the controller to turn on. It would be really expensive and complete overkill but that's what we do right?
No - lol we don't. I was going to say 'if we're smart' - And I suppose given multiple interviews I've seen with rich people - when asked - how did you get rich - the answer is - we didn't waste money. But - its your tank, your sump, and your money - so if thats what you want - all good!!! (But you asked - so I gave my opinion)

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is the first time I've had rude responses on this forum. To me really expensive is $125 in gadgets plus a $20 LED strip. To most that's nothing in this hobby. Must be difficult seeing little people from those high pedestals.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, this is the first time I've had rude responses on this forum. To me really expensive is $125 in gadgets plus a $20 LED strip. To most that's nothing in this hobby. Must be difficult seeing little people from those high pedestals.
I for one wasn't trying to be 'rude' - so if it came across that way - it wasn't meant that way at all and I apologize. You asked for advice - and in my case - I see more problems than solutions having everything hooked up to one controller. That suggestion was trying to give you a different perspective.

The point being - the less you spend on 'gadgets' - the more you can spend on your coral, fish, etc. So rather than being rude it was trying to offer you a slightly different perspective. I suppose the 'rude comment was in response to you saying "It would be really expensive and complete overkill but that's what we do right?". You're right - a lot of people do do that. In the end when I have done it (and I have) it has been a mistake. So - again - I was not trying to be rude.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back