Understanding Coral Names (How to)

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that is why I buy local. WYSIWYG, and every single time. I have one trusted LFS, and a local swap once a year.

Jupiter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cc
Coral Names r1.jpg
I just ordered, "The Reef Aquarium-Comprehensive Guide by Dr. Julian Sprung. Nevermind all the cutey patootie names, I just want to know the real names and if they're soft or rocky!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered, "The Reef Aquarium-Comprehensive Guide by Dr. Julian Sprung. Nevermind all the cutey patootie names, I just want to know the real names and if they're soft or rocky!
If that is what you want then you need the Vernon books. Last time I looked they were close to $700 for the set.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered corals from 3 places this week, all 3 vendors on here, and all three boxes arrived at my house at the same time today. My wife immediately brought the packages in to acclimate the corals before adding them to the tank.

The cheapest vendor had very few fancy names, had beautiful corals exactly as pictured, and the best shipping by far (well insulated and packaged, with a heat pack). All the corals and even the crocea clam were open and extended in the shipping bags. They even threw in an extra really nice Acan free of charge. Thanks @AquaSD you are now my only go-to coral shop online and I will always recommend you! This was my 3rd purchase from them and had nothing but perfection.

The other two had individually named frags and were not very well packaged. The most expensive, named SPS frags all came bleached or partially bleached but still alive, just ice cold from a lack of heat pack and night temps in the 40s in Michigan. The other were obviously really photoshopped images, since the colors were nowhere near what we received, and the corals are still closed up. They were cold as they lacked a heat pack as well.

You don't always get what you paid for.
But yet they are the ones that started one of the most expensive named zoas and torches, ASD stratospheres and ASD Holy Grail. Not sure now since it is harder to get big colony shipments, but they used to be a big chop shop. I just checked their trachy page and everyone of them is listed as "ultra" and every zoa frag is named. They do appear to do a lot better with photos of their corals and not drowning them in blues and pricing is usually good. I just had a bad experience the one time I ordered from them and don't have the stomach to try again. Luckily I have 4 or 5 frag swaps in my area every year so I do most of my shopping at those.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back