Understanding light and not killing my Goni

gemma-lee

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
6
Location
Cooranbong
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there iv got a 425 Red Sea with the 2 Red Sea lights I have a whole tank full oh lps I literally am Goni mad and I’m pretty new to this and iv gone all in and spent about 50 grand already but I’m trying to understand the importance of light and par and strength, iv only just learnt that you need to acclimate your Goni to light and keep them low till they settle but my tank is so full of Goni they can’t all go low , I no you can bleach them and I don’t want that how can I make sure I keep them alive ?
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
IMO there is rarely any need to acclimate corals to light. Only need to do this when your lights are much stronger than where they are currently, but most people have similar strength lights so no real need to acclimate.

Goni is very flexible in terms of light IMO, I have metal halides lights, and I can place my goni's on the sand or on the top rocks, they are fine.

I find flow to be more important to them, if there is not enough flow for their polyps to wave around, then they close up and stay closed
 
Hey there iv got a 425 Red Sea with the 2 Red Sea lights I have a whole tank full oh lps I literally am Goni mad and I’m pretty new to this and iv gone all in and spent about 50 grand already but I’m trying to understand the importance of light and par and strength, iv only just learnt that you need to acclimate your Goni to light and keep them low till they settle but my tank is so full of Goni they can’t all go low , I no you can bleach them and I don’t want that how can I make sure I keep them alive ?
Light and flow play an important role with Goni and these are coral that can be beautiful yet challenge the most experienced hobbyists and can be great one day and wither the next. Goni are photosynthetic corals and gain their energy source from light for color and energy. Inadequate light will cause them to change color and even shrink. If there is a change in lighting you will have a basis for determining issues. Water flow has a similar effect - too much flow will kill some of its cells and can start a reaction with other gonis in the tank. Moderate to medium flow is a must to keep their tentacles swaying to keep debris off of them and deliver food in which they regularly. Adding aminos to the tank is a plus for their health.
Some good foods are chopped krill, mysis shrimp, phyto and zooplankton. Im not a fan of powdered plankton foods as they can raise phosphates quickly but they work well with goni and alveopora.
Assure no3 and po4 Not elevated. Also having some Manganese in the water helps them to reduce stress in general and its important to have Mag at 1300-1350 to help stabilize CA and ALK level consumption
 
Hey welcome to the saltier side!

You're on the right path here but its not just the light, its the water chemistry as well. In my experience on keeping gonis is they like some manganese in the water.

Also, you spent 50 grand already.. 😮
you mind posting some pictures ? i'd love to see a $50k setup !
 
Hey there iv got a 425 Red Sea with the 2 Red Sea lights I have a whole tank full oh lps I literally am Goni mad and I’m pretty new to this and iv gone all in and spent about 50 grand already but I’m trying to understand the importance of light and par and strength, iv only just learnt that you need to acclimate your Goni to light and keep them low till they settle but my tank is so full of Goni they can’t all go low , I no you can bleach them and I don’t want that how can I make sure I keep them alive ?
Welcome to R2R!

Goni's benefit from manganese and iodine, two trace elements most tanks lack.

I have goni's at the bottom and top of my tank, both working out well.
 
Welcome Gemma!

Chuck up some pics of your tank and set up, as this will help a lot with this.
Since your in Aus - I would highly recommend asking Mariah at Only Reef Aquatics, she is the Goni Queen!
 
Hey there iv got a 425 Red Sea with the 2 Red Sea lights I have a whole tank full oh lps I literally am Goni mad and I’m pretty new to this and iv gone all in and spent about 50 grand already but I’m trying to understand the importance of light and par and strength, iv only just learnt that you need to acclimate your Goni to light and keep them low till they settle but my tank is so full of Goni they can’t all go low , I no you can bleach them and I don’t want that how can I make sure I keep them alive ?
updates ?
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! It looks like you are getting some solid input, let us know how it goes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new