OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reading on my trident still tracks with what the alkalinity in my tank is doing it’s just reading 1.5 dKh low. I know that it is the reagent that has caused my initial low reading I’m just surprised that the calibration didn’t take it back to the value that I calibrated it to.
Like someone else in the thread mentioned, I calibrated it with my tank water and I expected the next reading to be what I set it to.
The only logical answer I’ve seen is that the difference between the test and the calibration is too great so it essentially ignored the calibration. I may try calibrating again and just raising the reading by .75, then if that works calibrate again to raise it another .75. That or I will just get used to it reading 1.5 low, since I’ve already adjusted my controlled dosing and alarm limits.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night after I couldn't get it to cal with tank water values (8, 430, 1485) I tried using a cup of fresh salt water I had tested values (7.2, 390, 1305) and that didn't work either. I was thinking maybe it wouldn't accept a calibration based on a given value being too high or low... I can't figure out what's special about the Trident solution that it works to hold cal but nothing else will and seems to default to factory values. Only thing I can think of is that each value had to be with a certain range of calibration values, which doesn't make sense as calibrating to tank water used to work...

When I get more solution I'm going to test and try calibrating the solution with the given values I test at vs on the bottle. I've also got an ATI reference solution on the way to try also.

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody confirm on what brand of reagents they are using? Its just a theory… but it seems to be happening with Neptune branded reagent A results as B&C are not affected. I think its a bad batch, could anybody share their batch numbers on the bottom of the Reagent A bottles to help confirm this with others?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is weird. Mine seems to hold calibration regardless of wether i use my tank water or cal solution. I also have used both ABC and Neptune reagents with no issues… honestly i rarely calibrate. Usually my numbers hold steady after reagent change so i dont bother. If i move the trident or get off results then i run the cal but i dont bother unless i see an issue.

It isn't weird. I know several hobbyists who run Tridents and the calibration is fine. Just for grins I will run a manual combined test, collect my ICP sample, note the date, time, update the apex notes, then compare to the ICP results and they are always similar numbers. I use Neptune reagents.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody confirm on what brand of reagents they are using? Its just a theory… but it seems to be happening with Neptune branded reagent A results as B&C are not affected. I think its a bad batch, could anybody share their batch numbers on the bottom of the Reagent A bottles to help confirm this with others?

There are lot numbers on Neptune reagents. They ask for this if a support ticket is raised. Disregard if you know this.

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lot numbers on Neptune reagents. They ask for this if a support ticket is raised. Disregard if you know this.
Correct, i did ask for the batch number thats listed on the bottle lol but you’re right its not weird at all. Im using ABC and have been since they started, no issue or complaints

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly enough...i just recalibrated my trident AFTER the mobius update and the trident is now consistently within a few HUNDREDTHS of the hanna. I wonder if Apex realized they screwed up the trident and tried to quietly fix this with a software update without anyone noticing. I hate to be this cynical...but I have been saying for months this HAS to be a software issue. we get an update and low and behold...my numbers are predictable and aligned.

For all of those who made programs that accommodate your 'mental math', you might want to recheck your mental math after your next calibration.

@penguinexdeus

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 167 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back