Underwater photography awards

  • Thread starter Thread starter ScottR
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Nice set PaulB. Love snorkeling in mangrove flats.

Mangrove Islands are a nice change from coral reefs and you see much different creatures like these guys and fry of many species.
They are normally shallow so you can stand up to look around and see the beauty.



I also bring my swing arm hydrometer there to test the water to see if it needs any ASW. :p
 
LOVE these!!!
 
Black and White, Marine Catfish:
20111206_Day 3 Dumaguete_202501_25497-Edit-Edit.jpg
My avatar is a tiny 1/2" hermit crab I took at night in the Long Island Sound at night.


Bora Bora in Tahiti.


I wasn't really interested in the sleepy Nurse Shark here. I was trying to get the fry and the shark made a nice contrast.


Also Tahiti


Artificially growing corals off the Island of Mustique. Notice the hair algae.


Lanai Hawaii. These guys are all over the place in Hawaii because most of the Sharks are gone.
Wow these are good. Any more?
 
Swimming Frogfish. Well I wouldn't really call it swimming. They gulp water through their mouth and force it out through small siphon openings in their "armpit" behind the pectoral fin. They don't have a gill plate cover, operculum, like most bony fish. I might have a close up pick but it will take me some time to find it!)

20100111_Kalki _232705_30084.jpg
 
You can see the siphon here. Water goes through the mouth over the gills and out the siphon. By gulping water the FF can get some propulsion with it's "jets" and can use the tail fin some.

20100111_Kalki _222725_30085-Luminar.jpg
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new