Underwater tank spider?

Bobhelp4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me determine what this is?? It looks like a small underwater spider
IMG_5099.JPG
IMG_5097.JPG

OP
OP
Bobhelp4

Bobhelp4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a zoanthid eating spider Remove asap

I removed it ASAP after I took the pics just because I was not sure but if there is one are there more??? What could I do to get rid of them? I have noticed some of my zoa colonies depleting slowly while most of my others are flourishing. Could this be because of the spiders?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Any idea how I can get rid of them? I assume if I have one I have more...

From what I have seen in the past, if you have a lot of poor looking colonies and you find an adult, you probably have far more than you can actually see. The juveniles for the spiders are very small.

I've used a few methods in the past with some amount of success.

You'll want to treat the whole tank but if your concerned, you can just treat the individual frags outside the tank but this will require multiple treatments. Not to mention you'll need to treat all your soft corals and anything that is mainly soft tissue. The spiders can target more than just zoanthids, depending on species, and their are a lot of them. For example, I had spiders that targeted rock flower anemones and zoas/palys.

The drug of choice is milbemycin oxime. It may or may not work, keep in mind that there are many species of spiders and some may be resilient to this drug. You can only get this pill, sentinel, from a vet with prescription. However, you can now buy it in a liquid form called Dr. G's Coral Dip. Although the bottle says not to dump it in to your tank directly, it's just milbemycin oxime and people have been using that directly in their tank for many years. I've also directly used it in my systems but all tanks are different so think about it carefully first. It will kill more than just spiders, it will wipe out your pods, worms and other smaller lifeforms as well which can cause a terrible chain reaction. We know for a fact that wiping out a ton of flatworms can kill off your tank inhabitants from the toxins released by the dead flatworms and this drug appears to take out some species of flatworms as well, so think about it carefully first.

The direct in tank dosage I've seen over the years is about 1-4 mL per gallon. Remove all carbon rock and turn off your skimmer. I usually treat for about 3-4 days and then return the carbon rock and skimmer.

Outside the tank dosage for dipping, 1 bottle of Dr. G's makes about 2 gallons worth of dip if I'm not mistaken. I don't have the bottle on hand so I can't say for sure.

Do not use other classes of this drug like Ivermectin. Ivermectin is much easier to obtain, especially the 1% solution for cattle. It's super powerful and will kill more than just the spiders, corals and fish will die. There isn't a known safe dosage for other drugs in the same class yet. I wouldn't mind trying to find out thru my own experimentation but I no longer have any spiders and spare coral to experiment on.

Coral Rx and other similar dipping treatments are generally not enough to kill the spiders. Most are actually too weak and by the time you get the concentration high enough to kill the spiders, it's pretty toxic to everything else.

Good Luck, spiders are my worst enemy in this hobby.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would his treatment kill the juvis? From what ive read they live inside the polyp until they are an adult..:eek:

Back