OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, for anyone curious, the best I've been able to do is narrow these spiders down to two families - the Nymphonidae family or the Callipallenidae family.

For an example of a species that looks relatively similar to the one's Reefkeepers Archive has:
I do have to say that one is really close, especially the way it looks standing on coral

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it's a wrasse you want then you may need a not reef safe one and there isn't a peaceful one except maybe a large tamarin aka Anampses. The issue is large Anampses are very hard to acclimate to tanks. You might want to loan a wrasse? If so a banana aka Thalassoma wrasse may be your best bet as they are the toughest (and meanest) wrasse. Coris and the little cousin of the dragon the sea grass wrasse are alos options but I doubt you'll be able to find the second.

Last edited:

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be incredibly surprised if a Halichoeres or Pseudocheilinus wrasse didn't solve your problem. They specialize in small inverts and will absolutely wreck flatworm, bristleworm and amphipod populations, I have no reason to Believe they wouldn't also eat these. If you need something more peaceful, the pinkstreak wrasse or any of the possum wrasses in the genus Wetmorella will also probably eat them.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be incredibly surprised if a Halichoeres or Pseudocheilinus wrasse didn't solve your problem. They specialize in small inverts and will absolutely wreck flatworm, bristleworm and amphipod populations, I have no reason to Believe they wouldn't also eat these. If you need something more peaceful, the pinkstreak wrasse or any of the possum wrasses in the genus Wetmorella will also probably eat them.
True! I'd definitely start with a Halichoeres as a Pseudcheilinus is just as aggressive as some of the not reef safe wrasse I mentioned.
As an example, I have watched sixline and twelveline wrasses (Pseudocheilinus) attack and eat shrimp their size. They are probably your best bet for a reef-safe wrasse that will effectively consume them.
If it eats shrimp is it reef safe though...

You should join us on the wrasse lovers thread. You know your stuff

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it eats shrimp is it reef safe though...
That is a very good point... I tend to think of reef safe in terms of coral, snails and basic cuc, but ornamental shrimps are still part of the reef.

Haha I appreciate the invite, however I am far from a wrasse expert and have mostly learned from mistakes. Mostly familiar with cryptic wrasses.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very good point... I tend to think of reef safe in terms of coral, snails and basic cuc, but ornamental shrimps are still part of the reef.

Haha I appreciate the invite, however I am far from a wrasse expert and have mostly learned from mistakes. Mostly familiar with cryptic wrasses.
Reef safe to me is not eating coral or small fish. I don't really care about other inverts lol

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THESE THINGS ARE THE MOST VILE, DISGUISTING SCUMBAGS OF A CREATURE TO EVER WALK THE F*****G PLANET!
20231214_005521.jpg

THIS IS THE SECOND ONE ON MY PLATYGYRA AND I WISH DEATH ON THE ENTIRE SPECIES!

THE ENTIRE AREA OF DIE-OFF IS DUE TO SEA SPIDERS!

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THESE THINGS ARE THE MOST VILE, DISGUISTING SCUMBAGS OF A CREATURE TO EVER WALK THE F*****G PLANET!
20231214_005521.jpg

THIS IS THE SECOND ONE ON MY PLATYGYRA AND I WISH DEATH ON THE ENTIRE SPECIES!

THE ENTIRE AREA OF DIE-OFF IS DUE TO SEA SPIDERS!
Though I did manage to kill it :)

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe to me is not eating coral or small fish. I don't really care about other inverts lol
How small is small fish? Under 3 inches?
^ Gobiesox strumosus, cling fish / skillet fish.
Will eat everything from the size of it's eye to half it's body size.. grows a little bigger than 3 inches.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Sorry, late to the discussion, but I would say a possum wrasse would be great. I have a Frag system which is in need of some tender loving care as I haven’t spent any time with it since before my surgeries. To make the point, I have 1 small tang and one possum wrasse in each of the 50 lowboys that I have plumbed together, except one of the wrasses jumped into the tank beside it.

The one tank without a wrasse has little red flatworms I believe. The remainder of the tanks do not.

Also if you wanted to got the blue throat method, I believe reefbeauties.com has male and female in stock. I have bought a lot of fish from here, and I get really healthy fish. Super happy with them and no reservations to recommend them.

AstroMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine not very effective- Coral RX or revive
You are correct with CoralRX - revealed ours - you also posted on my critter ID thread - thank you!

I will be re-dipping these frogspawn repeatedly over the coming weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back