Unequal Dosing Question

Cperkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a good way to slow down magnesium consumption is to scrape your coralline back a lil bit.

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been struggling with this same issue. I've read a lot about it and have had a lot of great comments from others about it, but the numbers I get don't match what I keep hearing. I have a heavy SPS tank and use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and my Alk dosing is considerably higher (over twice as much per day) than my calcium dosing. I tried matching the two amounts for a few days and my calcium shot way up. I tried dosing less alk and sure enough my values droped way below where I want them. In just a couple of days it was 150ppm vs the 180 ppm I had before. With stability being so important, I was afraid I was going to start killing off corals. I went back to the daily does that keeps each value where I want it. Everything in the tank looks happy and the numbers test properly. I've calibrated my test kits and believe the results I'm seeing.

However, my sandbed is clumping up in some places, and I think the extra alk is going towards that. I dose magnesium by the gallon when I use up a gallon of Alk and it seems to keep the mag value where I want it. I'm not sure what the answer is.
how do you actually dose the magnesium and you say "by the gallon" how much per gallon of alk?

Damion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank consumes more than twice the amount of Alk than Calcium as well. Funny thing, my Mg kept going up and up while I kept backing down the dose. So I've had to turn off my Mg doser because I've found my Instant Ocean mixing up at 1450 Mg! (1.023) (DOS AWC) A quality problem I suppose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you actually dose the magnesium and you say "by the gallon" how much per gallon of alk?

I give the directions for use of this two part here:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

from it:

This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of Recipe #1, add 610 mL (2 ½ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets hear from different people please. how much do magnesium do you dose and how do you figure that amount out? i've always wondered.

My recommendation is to add the recommended amount based on the recipe unless you find magnesium is actually getting too high (or is already too low and needs a manual correction).

Damion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go day by day to get started.
Test your Mag, go to the BRS calculator, see how much you need to does to true up. If it is small enough to add at once, then add it manually, Day2 test and true up, Day 3 test and true up, Day4 program your dose to dose the average daily you just did the last 3 days. A Good start.

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run into the same dilemma when it came to dosing two part. It seems I have to set the doser approximately 25-30% higher for alkalinity to keep it up in the 10s and carry my calcium at 440ppm, and at first I was a little worried about long term creep, but 3 months of daily testing indicates there's it's the way to fly.

btw I'm using the BRS two part at 24 points, and Mg is sitting at 1440

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run into the same dilemma when it came to dosing two part. It seems I have to set the doser approximately 25-30% higher for alkalinity to keep it up in the 10s and carry my calcium at 440ppm, and at first I was a little worried about long term creep, but 3 months of daily testing indicates there's it's the way to fly.

btw I'm using the BRS two part at 24 points, and Mg is sitting at 1440

Have you measured the output of the dosing pumps to be sure they are the same?

What salt mix are you using for water changes?

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I haven't compared them. I suppose that's one basic step I skipped, but it makes perfect sense. I use Reef Crystals; however, I do maybe 15% changes a month as it seems my system remains healthier with less.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back