Unexpected nitrate drop?

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tested on 11/5 on my 34g. Tempt 78.1, Sali 1.025, Nitrate 50+ppm, phos .34. Salifert Nitrate test and Hanna for Phos. Realized I needed to get it under control so cut back feeding to once a day.

On 11/8 did a 5g water change and added a small bag of Chemipure and another small bag of chemipure elite. both bags in the 25g range.

11/11

On 11/13 retested: Phos had dropped to .26 yay but nitrate was still in the 40ppm to 50ppm range

On 11/14 added a HOB refugium with cheato and great grow light. also another 5g water change and cleaned out my canister filtration

11/18 retested. Phos is steady at .27 but my Nitrate has dropped down to around 10ppm. Turned off the light on 11/17 as I had to trim out the cheato already. Going to just an 8hr cycle now

Now I was expecting the Nitrates and phos to drop but not for the phos to stay same and nitrate to drop that hard. Anything I need to be concerned about? Thanks

OP
OP
Kinjirra

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your corals doing?
I will let you know when I get some :) Just a fowler tank atm

Just make sure the nitrate and or phos doesn't bottom out.. the result would be far worse than the slightly elevated levels

This is what im concerned about more then anything. Just trying to figure out why my nitrates dropped so much. I didnt think a water change and cheato would have taken that much out.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, for a fish only you still want good filtration but don't stress over nitrates and phosphates too much! And bottoming them out won't hurt your fish either!

OP
OP
Kinjirra

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, for a fish only you still want good filtration but don't stress over nitrates and phosphates too much! And bottoming them out won't hurt your fish either!
My understanding is that zeroing out your phos and Nitrates can lead to dino's...i def do not want those

OP
OP
Kinjirra

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
month and half maybe...still very new. Livestock very healthy and happy from what I can tell.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will let you know when I get some :) Just a fowler tank atm

This is what im concerned about more then anything. Just trying to figure out why my nitrates dropped so much. I didnt think a water change and cheato would have taken that much out.

if you have nitrite present then your test for nitrates will seem higher than they really are, when nitrites are 0 you should get a more accurate test...not saying you had nitrites but it’s one explanation.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back