Unexpected power outage...

George Villasenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank's temperature is going down noticeably quick, I currently only have corals in it with some invertebrates (Snails). The power outage was a huge surprise to me since I'm dorming, and I have a test in about 30 minutes that lasts for an hour, will my tank be okay for that hour?....

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it should be fine, before you leave I'd scoop up some water in a cup of some kind and pour it back in from some height to get some air back in there.

In the future having a battery backup on a powerhead is a cheap power outage plan. It will run a long time powering just a powerhead. I wouldn't worry too much about temp too much until it starts to go way down,.. like under 60 or something. Flow and O2 is a bigger issue than temp in a short power outage.

Whiskey

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should, corals generally tolerate lower temps better than higher temps. Bleaching may occur if the temp drops to ~60F depending on the coral and the avg temp you kept it at as well as the duration. Lack of flow and potential decline of oxygen may be an issue too, though generally not a problem short term...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back