OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, just do the dip. It's free and you'll have peace of mind knowing you got the right thing. If no flukes fall off, back to the drawing board

Yeah thats fair enough, ill respond to you with updates, though it will be a pain to get the fish i know that much.

IF no flukes fall off, do you have any other ideas what it may be?

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich lives in most tanks. Most people just manage ich, and it only flares up in the case of a stress event.

There is a post in the top of this forum called ich eradication vs management (or something similar).

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich lives in most tanks. Most people just manage ich, and it only flares up in the case of a stress event.

There is a post in the top of this forum called ich eradication vs management (or something similar).

Yeah and if its ICH I can deifnitely manage, the tanks been up for almost 6 months and lately there has been a bit of stress as all the fish are being a bit aggressive and establishing the hierarchy (though the only observed aggression ive seen has been the tang towards the blenny)

any other possible things it could be? though i doubt it is ich based on the way it looks and the lack of it multiplying

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a 75 gallon tank with the given params below
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 78
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 2.5
Phosphates: 0
Ph: 8.2
I think that's pretty much it if there's other stuff you wanna know let me know and I'll check.

Anyways, as I said it's a 75 gallon, I have 2 HOB filters, Coraline growth, I've built an aquaclear 110 into half a refugium with chaeto and my tank has pods.

Stocking list below
2 clowns
Tomini tang
Baby Mandarin goby
Lawnmower blenny
Springer damsel
Sharknose goby
6 trochus
1 cleaner shrimp
5 hermits
1 tuxedo urchin

The problem I am having is this, about 2 weeks ago I noticed on my Springer damsel these white spots or small pale white circles. I know immediately you are thinking ICH, but it's not and I'll explain. ICH normally is a raised almost perfectly round white ball, furthermore it tends to rapidly multiply. 2 weeks later my Springer damsel STILL has it but it also has not multiplied. This morning my tang should a couple symptoms as well and again it doesn't look completely like ICH. I have asked LFS and they have said it's not ICH either but they also don't know what he hell it is. I have attached photos as well and I've circled the spots I'm referring too. It is difficult to see especially in the Springer damsel as he actually has a few on his body but you can see in the pictures because of how much he glows.

All the fish are eating like fat pigs non stop so it must not be affecting them that bad.

Now, I have a bit of a theory here that I would like you to consider and let me know if it is plausible or you have experienced similar things. My sharknose goby is a cleaner obviously and you can see him occasionally try and hop on fish. Of course the fish get spooked and dash away, could it possibly be that the markings I am seeing are from the sharknose hopping on the fish and cleaning or attempting to and maybe cleaning a bit TOO much to the point he is hurting or scarring them?

Please help I am desperate as I am in Canada and the government banned over the counter meds so I got to try and figure out something. Thank you everyone all advice is welcome and I am greatful.

DamselTailspot2.jpg DamselTailspot.jpg Tangspot2.jpg TangSpots.jpg
Do the marks look like these?

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 1.16.41 PM.png

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, the ones my guys got are not clustered. they are sporadic less uniform in shape
It's the only picture I have, but they don't always cluster and can be very defined to kinda opaque looking. They are Trematodes. Can be treated with Prazipro or similar products.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, just do the dip. It's free and you'll have peace of mind knowing you got the right thing. If no flukes fall off, back to the drawing board

Well my friend I tore my tank apart. All the rocks came out. I netted the damsel and dipped in freshwater for 4 mins. He still has the white spots or circles or whatever on him. So I am really unsure as to what they are. Any other ideas?

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the only picture I have, but they don't always cluster and can be very defined to kinda opaque looking. They are Trematodes. Can be treated with Prazipro or similar products.
Just tested for this with a FW and nope not flukes my friend. Any other guesses?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 27.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back