Unidentified underwater critter Help!

mndivergirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After taking a class look at my tank last night after lights out, with a flashlight if course, I was extremely upset to find what looked like 6-8 aiptasia. The more I looked, the more I found. They appeared to be on my base rock only, no where else. Some looked light brown, some blueish and have even length tenacles. I pulled one of the base rocks out and was going to use our reef clubs majano wands on the stuff. To my surprise, there is a hard outer shell around some of these critters. Anyone have a guess what they could be? These are pictures of one I scraped off of the rock and used a magnifying glass so my camera could take the picture. Is this good or bad? Tank is about 16 months old.

IMG_20180523_170629745_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180523_170558541_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
mndivergirl

mndivergirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be normal to have 5 or 6 in the same area? I do have Euphyllia in my tank. I think I'll put the rock back in the DT and hope I didn't remove all of them.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corallite structure indicates it to be a type of cup coral. There are several genera so getting a more positive ID will be pretty difficult. But a coral nonetheless

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back