OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the subject as “Unions Suck” to which I would have agreed… that is all I have to contribute, I am not very helpful with this topic.
Oooh do tell. Should I just not use them? That is an option. I mean my crap is so simple. Two ins one out. I don't have any continuous loop or any crazy manifolds. Nada. Oh wait, you all mean real unions...LOL! Yeah I agree. They do indeed suck.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh do tell. Should I just not use them? That is an option. I mean my crap is so simple. Two ins one out. I don't have any continuous loop or any crazy manifolds. Nada.
I think the idea was "Labor Union" not PVC Union coupling. The latter are essential for disassembly for cleaning in a reef, ime.
Byu Football Sport GIF by BYU Cougars

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't ever boil PVC in water, it'll melt the threads. Don't ask me how I know. ;)

That's probably the issue.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh do tell. Should I just not use them? That is an option. I mean my crap is so simple. Two ins one out. I don't have any continuous loop or any crazy manifolds. Nada. Oh wait, you all mean real unions...LOL! Yeah I agree. They do indeed suck.
You will want to use them, plus more... Make sure though you have spare Orings for them. Because, since you are familiar with working on engines you know about things that fly across the room and roll under things....
Your crap maybe simple now until it gets complicated. I prefer to complicate my life now to make it simple later. :thinking-face:

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We didn't boil it. I put it in some dang near untouchable hot water. And no those threads were mismolded.

What happened to me was I had a union attached to a barb and I wanted to remove the flexible tubing attached to the barb. I put on the kettle and poured it all into a bucket with the union and barb. That melted my union thread. Glad that didn't happen to you, what a pain in the rear end. ;)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back