Unique approach to UV sterilizer. Your thoughts?

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new to hobby (little over 6 months), and run 2 tanks (40g cube, and 90 gallon cube with 15g sump/refug). I love the science behind the tank, gear, chemistry, etc. I have some thoughts I've recently put into practice on my 90g display tank on UV sterilizer. It's too early to know the results, but wanted to run the math/theory by all of you to see and hear what your thoughts are on the matter.

Generally accepted science on UV sterilizer follow the idea that slow flow through the UV housing works best to kill protozoan/bacterial infections (thus increasing contact time of the undesirable pathogen) in a single pass, whereas for algae control, the total volume of water per hour and/or day needs to be increased to help control algae growth (within the water column, not on the surface features). For instance, you'll see UV sterilizer sources promote this (such as Pentair) UV sterilizers indicating the following:

Pentair 25W
Specifications:
Max Aquarium Size: 130 Gallons
Number of Lamps: 1
Algae & Bacteria Water Flow Rate - 472GPH/788GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)
Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate - 79GPH/131GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)

If I had picked this sterilizer for my 90g tank + 10g sump - 20g rock displacement = 80 gallons total, I'd effectively have to CHOOSE between one of the settings. I've read forum posts in which unique settings can be done in which algae speed/flow is done during the photosynthetic period (day) is more likely to grow algae, and then reduce flow of water to pass over UV bulb at night to effectively reduce harmful bacteria/protozoan. HOWEVER, what happens to the math if we size UP the bulb? You can effectively target a range in which BOTH algae and bacteria/protozoan are effectively removed.

In the 25W bulb, sized for 130 gallons, running 472GPH is essentially running 3.63 tank's worth of water volume per hour and up to 788GPH which is 6.06 tank's worth of water per hour. So every hour 3.6 to 6 tank's worth of water is being run through the filter to achieve effective algae control. IF you maintain the idea that 3.6 to 6 tank's worth of water needs to run through the filter to effectively control algae, then at my 80gallon tank size, I effectively have to run the pump at 288GPH to 484.8GPH. This is still much too fast to effectively have control of protozoan/bacteria...UNLESS we INCREASE the UV Sterilizer size... !

The 40W bulb has the following specifications:
Specifications:
Max Aquarium Size: 260 Gallons
Number of Lamps: 1
Algae & Bacteria Water Flow Rate - 943GPH/1574GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)
Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate - 157GPH/262GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)

IF I use this bulb/sterilizer set up on my 80 gallons of net water in my tank, I only have to run this sterilizer through at 1/2 of 288GPH to 484.8GPH range which is 144GPH to 242.4GPH. By doing so, I have still run ALL my tank/sump water through the system 3.6 to 6 times PER HOUR... BUT with one added bonus: I have the water running slow enough to increase contact time in a single pass to fall within the recommended guidelines of 157GPH/262GPH to effectively treat Protozoa/bacteria.

Sorry if post is long and/or the math was not explained well. We are running our 40W UV sterilizer at ~200GPH on our 80g system to utilize both algae removal and bacteria/protozoa.

Welcome to thoughts/suggestions.

Thank you

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might make it too complicated. It is the flow through the sterilizer that is important and yes bigger is better in terms of turn over and kill rate. I have never regretted a larger UV but I have regretted one undersized to the job!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upsizing an UV has been long used and a quite common way to increase its utility. Agree with the underlying assumptions .... just not ‘unique’. The only downside to this approach is added heat.

OP
OP
mcshams

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. Thank you.

Boiler93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your mathematical analysis! Sounds spot-on to me. Thank you for taking the time to put this together and share.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only have to worry about two things: not enough watts and too slow a flow rate (faster is better in recirculating systems).

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back