Unknown algae

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! Hoping to get some help with an algae ID. The pictures aren’t great but I have these small maroon dots that have shown up.
I’ve dealt with Cyano before and though this is a similar color I don’t believe that’s what this is. While this new algae was in the tank I had a patch or two of cyano and the usual Chemiclean rid the cyano patches and left the dots unfazed. The dots are hard and very difficult to manually remove. Snails in the tank will rid all algae around the dots but won’t bother the dots themselves.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

C87C7EF1-D876-4EC7-AFDD-226FD314293B.jpeg 9567EC38-C4DF-4B18-A102-11E4F5C91EC7.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi All! Hoping to get some help with an algae ID. The pictures aren’t great but I have these small maroon dots that have shown up.
I’ve dealt with Cyano before and though this is a similar color I don’t believe that’s what this is. While this new algae was in the tank I had a patch or two of cyano and the usual Chemiclean rid the cyano patches and left the dots unfazed. The dots are hard and very difficult to manually remove. Snails in the tank will rid all algae around the dots but won’t bother the dots themselves.

C87C7EF1-D876-4EC7-AFDD-226FD314293B.jpeg 9567EC38-C4DF-4B18-A102-11E4F5C91EC7.jpeg
While this has the appearance of coralline, I dont believe it is but rather being a crusty like algae known as Lithothamnions which thrive off of calcium. The ones on the rock will have to be scraped off although of no harm.
The ones on glass should be removed and maget scraper should work, or manual labor using a razor type scraper

OP
OP
T

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this has the appearance of coralline, I dont believe it is but rather being a crusty like algae known as Lithothamnions which thrive off of calcium. The ones on the rock will have to be scraped off although of no harm.
The ones on glass should be removed and maget scraper should work, or manual labor using a razor type scraper
Does this pose a threat to take over the whole tank? Not sure I know of a good way to reduce calcium as I’m not dosing anything and simply doing routine water changes with RO water. I plan to start adding coral over the next few months so maybe the excess calcium is a good thing?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lithothamnion is a genus in the order Corallinales, making it coralline algae. There shouldn't be much of a difference between the care and treatment of species in this genus and other species of coralline algae.

My guess is that you actually have benthic foraminiferans, which are protists in the kingdom Chromista; growths like these in aquaria are more common amongst these organisms:
Benthic foraminifera. These are filter-feeding protozoans and are harmless. The fibers on the forams are their reticulopodia, which are used for feeding.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Homotrematidae
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/rs/index.php

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does this pose a threat to take over the whole tank? Not sure I know of a good way to reduce calcium as I’m not dosing anything and simply doing routine water changes with RO water. I plan to start adding coral over the next few months so maybe the excess calcium is a good thing?
No. Like coralline which thrives off calcium, this is a little more stubborn for removal

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back