Unknown baby

danielsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a while now I have been thinking this is a sponge. It lives in a section in my sump that barely even gets red light, along with several different sponges.
Byt today after a slight rockshift I noticed it is actually a tiny clam, just over an inch with a rounded shell and covered with sponge.
What could it be?

20171208_182633.jpg

20171208_182701.jpg

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a while now I have been thinking this is a sponge. It lives in a section in my sump that barely even gets red light, along with several different sponges.
Byt today after a slight rockshift I noticed it is actually a tiny clam, just over an inch with a rounded shell and covered with sponge.
What could it be?

20171208_182633.jpg

20171208_182701.jpg
I don't know but would love to learn! That is so cool. Love bivalves!

OP
OP
danielsalt

danielsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I also got excited..there are some spectacular looking spiny ones for sure :eek:

However, most that i find on google (not much though really), dont have the meaty "whiskers" that mine does..
Super hard to see whether the shell has actual spikes but on the other hand it is tiny still. One thing I think I see quite clearly is that its opening has..well, lets say that if I divide the opening in 4, half looks like its one piece, while the other half has 2 round openings.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a meeting soon. Can you do some googling if you have time ?
Immediately This one is interesting. Every scallop I'm finding is either not white, or has a orange body with white tentacles. I'll keep looking in more detail later, have stuff to take care of right now

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Immediately This one is interesting. Every scallop I'm finding is either not white, or has a orange body with white tentacles. I'll keep looking in more detail later, have stuff to take care of right now
Yup. That's one reason why I went oyster. (I do have a yellow and brown striped scallop but..).
Also note the inake siphon compared to a scallop and a true spiny oyster like we find in live aquaria.

Tough to get past the recipies isn't it

Back