Unknown bivalve

  • Thread starter Thread starter eastgill
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

eastgill

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2022
Messages
27
Reaction score
8
Location
south dakota
What state or country do you live in
South Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so I have a dead torch coral skeleton that I’ve been watching carefully for new growth. Turns out what I thought was new growth is really some sort of clam or other bivalve. Wondering if anyone is able to tell me with a little more specificity what it really is, thanks!!!

5028264A-0FED-4849-9E8C-6EC211A17441.jpeg
 
Hey everyone, so I have a dead torch coral skeleton that I’ve been watching carefully for new growth. Turns out what I thought was new growth is really some sort of clam or other bivalve. Wondering if anyone is able to tell me with a little more specificity what it really is, thanks!!!

5028264A-0FED-4849-9E8C-6EC211A17441.jpeg
Here’s a little bit clearer of a picture, also if anyone can confirm that on the bottom of the base of the skeleton that it’s not aptasia but is actually just a very dark feather duster (if such a thing). It behaves like the other two feather dusters I have but I’ve never seen one that dark
 

Attachments

  • 659957B4-3015-4AF5-8FDF-A5C391AB3051.jpeg
    659957B4-3015-4AF5-8FDF-A5C391AB3051.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 91
Here’s a little bit clearer of a picture, also if anyone can confirm that on the bottom of the base of the skeleton that it’s not aptasia but is actually just a very dark feather duster (if such a thing). It behaves like the other two feather dusters I have but I’ve never seen one that dark
The torch is definitely toast but I'm not sure what it growing out the side. Maybe in a few more months we'll be able to get a better view as it grows up. I had a coral that died off at one time, months later I thought I'd remove it and when I did noticed something the size of a pin head so decided to leave it. Few months later it became obvious it was a disc coral. Today it lives hapily in the sand and is around 6".
 
Not directly but I feed marine snow and p
I assume you are talking about this:
588B969A-685C-499E-B0DF-283C50DF65EA.jpeg
Looks like an oyster of some sort.
I assume you are talking about this:
588B969A-685C-499E-B0DF-283C50DF65EA.jpeg
Looks like an oyster of some sort. Are you feeding it anything?
1661139654153.jpeg
Not directly feeding it anything, but I am dosing marine snow and phyto every day.
 
The torch is definitely toast but I'm not sure what it growing out the side. Maybe in a few more months we'll be able to get a better view as it grows up. I had a coral that died off at one time, months later I thought I'd remove it and when I did noticed something the size of a pin head so decided to leave it. Few months later it became obvious it was a disc coral. Today it lives hapily in the sand and is around 6".
I’m hoping for a miracle story like that for the torch but every day I lose a little more hope lol. Finding whatever this is was a bit of a bright spot. It’s definitely grown over the past few weeks though, I’ll be sure to update with pictures!
 
Could be a tunicate. It's hard to tell in your pictures. Is it missing the top mantle?
The shell.
D
No, it appears to be fully shelled. I should also mention it’s light sensitive and I can watch it shut quickly whenever there’s a quick change in light
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new