Unknown NFS? LPS hitchhiker

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm Well scratching my head a bit on this one. Came on a yellow leather coral from Australia. Was attached to the rock at the base of the leather. Under a couple blue t5 it looks white until it opens to eat and the inside looks blackish. Any idea what it could be?

Quick shot with my iphone and filter so not the best but you get the idea.
IMG_E3462.JPG

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YIKES!!! At first, I thought "oh what's eating those zoas?!?" following I'm interested to know. Do you have a clearer picture? Has it grown since you put it on the rack? I'd say if it's eating and growing I might isolate it until proper ID can be made.

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YIKES!!! At first, I thought "oh what's eating those zoas?!?" following I'm interested to know. Do you have a clearer picture? Has it grown since you put it on the rack? I'd say if it's eating and growing I might isolate it until proper ID can be made.
lol Will move it over towards the glass so I can get a better picture. Not much to look at during the day. It spent a few weeks at the base of the leather coral until I realized it was there! I was removing the leather so I could take some frags and this chunk fell off the rock and I was thinking some piece of rock rubble or broken leather base.. but nope this thing! So it's only been a few days since I have been target feeding it. Seems happier and more active now.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it'll color up and you got some ultra rare coral ;) Sadly that's probably not the case. I'm super interested to find out what this thing is... interest piqued!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of sun coral?

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on this oddball. Much greener with touch of brown around the tentacles. Still have the white speckles on the body just not as noticeable. May have to frag a piece and see what kind of skeleton it has. Color is close.. I just did a quick cellphone photo and adjusted best I could since it's under blue T5
OMYKE4047[1].JPG

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's grown some.. hard to tell. It's sandwiched between an Acan echinata on one side and a Lord on the other.. and well a bower in the distance lol. It was sending some growth down through the eggcrate so hmm not sure it's easily removeable now! hard to see below due to the coralline on the glass ;x

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking palys that are overgrown with sponge or something. bayer probably wouldnt do much to the sponge. h2o2 dip might get sponges off

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate all guesses but most definitely not palys or some polyp overgrown with sponge. Not sure if there is a calcium skeleton as I have not cut it yet. Photo below after feeding so I could get the polyps to retract. There are no sponge like stuff and the tissue of the polyps is exactly the same as the tissue of the main body. Probably never know as it was some hitchhiker on a chunk of rock with a yellow Aus leather. But it is pretty cool!
CGLJE1321[1].JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back