UNS 10 Gallon Shallow Mixed Reef Build

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a build thread for my UNS 60s mixed reef build. I'm getting back into the hobby after about 7 years away. I really want to make this an epic tank with high end aqua-cultured corals. I've never had SPS in a tank and want to do that in this one. I am currently build a custom stand for the tank and when it is finished I will update with pictures. The plan for the system is to have a daily water change schedule with the auto aqua awc. I am building a water storage tank with three chambers (Rodi, waste, and fresh salt water). This will sit behind the tank inside the stand. I will have the water changes happen in small increments most likely twice a day everyday out of the return pump section. I think for a good while this should be able to keep water chemistry very stable and rich for the corals until they need some dosing to keep up. I designed and built the overflow section and made enough space for a Bubble Magus Mini Q skimmer and then a refugium which I have some Biolux in. The tank hase been cycling with dry rock, live sand, and Dr. Tims since Saturday 3/4/23.

Goals for the tank:
Corals:
Mixed reef (Acros, Torches, Ricordea garden in tide pool are top of the aquascape with the sand, Zoa garden, etc.)
Fish:
Yasha Goby and pistol shrimp, Two spot goby maybe later on, if possible clown with anemone. Would this tank be too small for that?
Equipment:
Tropic Marin Pro reef salt, Ai Prime Reef, Bubble Magus Mini Q skimmer, Auto Aqua automatic water change system, refugium.

I really want to do things right this time around, so if you can please make suggestions for how I can set myself up for success with this tank it would be greatly appreciated! I want this tank to be a real showpiece. Thank you!

C7BB7098-EE04-4A26-87D1-037CF3605F94.JPG 0C75486C-EF4E-4BAF-A20A-3FCF9B07B628.jpeg 4A7824AD-7FF3-4BE0-9F55-4E929D3FF126.jpeg A8443C28-6165-4AD4-A7B8-95435B877457.jpeg 72D9BEC6-7FF4-4B83-9550-F0D41CA06EBE.jpeg 4B0B790E-5196-4F32-A096-D27CD2FB4612.jpeg

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! You are planning a lot of nutrient export for such a small volume of water. You may find it challenging to keep N03 and P04 at preferred levels if you employ them all.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank! I am a big fan of UNS. I do see some issues that might end up happening with the aquascape. It’s going to be very hard to mount coral without them sticking out of the water! I personally would make a much smaller aquascape.
As for your planned stocking. Stay away from the twin spot. Sandsifting gobies need ALOT of space and aren’t really manageable in a nano. As for a clown with a nem. You will probably have issues with the nem getting to big for your tank. However the clownfish should be good! Good luck on the tank! Keep providing updates!

OP
OP
Scotty LaBeouf

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank! I am a big fan of UNS. I do see some issues that might end up happening with the aquascape. It’s going to be very hard to mount coral without them sticking out of the water! I personally would make a much smaller aquascape.
As for your planned stocking. Stay away from the twin spot. Sandsifting gobies need ALOT of space and aren’t really manageable in a nano. As for a clown with a nem. You will probably have issues with the nem getting to big for your tank. However the clownfish should be good! Good luck on the tank! Keep providing updates!
Yeah I figured the Sandsifter would be a stretch. I'll have to skip the new with this tank then and wait for a bigger tank. I do like the idea of lowering the aquascape. I really like the structure of it the way it is. The only solution I can think of is to take it out and use a hammer and chisel and chip away at the bottom parts of it. Only issue is it's all expoxied together and idk how strong that stuff is and if it will hold up.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I figured the Sandsifter would be a stretch. I'll have to skip the new with this tank then and wait for a bigger tank. I do like the idea of lowering the aquascape. I really like the structure of it the way it is. The only solution I can think of is to take it out and use a hammer and chisel and chip away at the bottom parts of it. Only issue is it's all expoxied together and idk how strong that stuff is and if it will hold up.
If you have a dremel with a diamond bit it would make quick work of the rock without breaking it. same thing with a tile saw. I have even seen people sand it down lol. Even if you do have to put it back together a little hassle right now will save you a lot of hassle later
In the sense that the water will be too clean?
I believe that's what he means, but, you can always add more fish or feed more. Can't really over filter unless you are trying to

OP
OP
Scotty LaBeouf

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a dremel with a diamond bit it would make quick work of the rock without breaking it. same thing with a tile saw. I have even seen people sand it down lol. Even if you do have to put it back together a little hassle right now will save you a lot of hassle later

I believe that's what he means, but, you can always add more fish or feed more. Can't really over filter unless you are trying to
Ohh a dremel would be perfect! And as far as the filtration thing goes that what I was thinking too. Can’t hurt to have good water quality. I’ll definitely have plenty of livestock in there.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the sense that the water will be too clean?
Correct. Skimmer, Cheato, water changes, all three remove nitrate and phosphate. Some more aggressively than others. The first six months your tank can be a roller coaster ride, so employing one of those tools as needed will be your best approach. Contrary to belief, yes, you can over filter the water. This can bring cyano, dinos, etc. You have a good plan, I’m suggesting the right tool when approach. Good luck!

OP
OP
Scotty LaBeouf

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Skimmer, Cheato, water changes, all three remove nitrate and phosphate. Some more aggressively than others. The first six months your tank can be a roller coaster ride, so employing one of those tools as needed will be your best approach. Contrary to belief, yes, you can over filter the water. This can bring cyano, dinos, etc. You have a good plan, I’m suggesting the right tool when approach. Good luck!
Totally makes sense, how long would you wait before incorporating a skimmer on a system like this with my plan?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back