UNS 45 Biotope build

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the four nano's I picked up last week was an UNS 45 7 gallon. Doing a light test with it here:
IMG_0173.JPG

A couple of orders from Amazon (Crushed Coral, Miracle Mud, Livesand) and some water, we end up with this:
20210301_134849.jpg

KP Aquatics order on the way, most everything will going into other tanks, but once this is ready, stuff will get moved over. Used live rock from my big tank, so cycle should be minimal if any.

The light will be something I picked up from Amazon a PopBloom 16 30W LED Reef Light, which looks like it might be interesting, simply because if has a weird lens on it. It is also adjustable, as sunrise/sunset and built in timer. For $60, it's worth a shot.

Waiting on the heater to get in tomorrow, I don't think I'll run a powerhead on this tank, as I upgraded the return pump to a maxijet, it pushes the flow out pretty well. I do want some sand sifter/ diggers in there though.

Now we wait!

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I’m interested to hear how that pop bloom light works...I’ve seen those for sale before. I’m also using miracle mud in my current build in my sump along with live rock. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool video! How did you make that?
I used HitfilmExpress. There is a free version, and then one a step up that is like 19.99. Just cut out the big gaps and sped it up about 800%. It takes a little bit of learning, but I went this way as you can actually make movies with it (tons of how - to's on youtube). Most everything is drag and drop, so once you get the basics down, it isn't too bad.

And thanks!

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking I’m going to be getting my live rock from KP also...did you get it yet and if so how does it look?
My original order from KP came about two months ago. The rock was nice, but didn't have anything exciting. Or so I thought. Fast forward to now, I've got all kinds of macro algae, sponges, and other stuff on there. Nothing bad, just lots of worms, sponges, macro algaes. KP is awesome. Worth every penny. One note on live rock. Since they are in Florida, if you wait till June/July, you'll get more stuff growing on the rock, as the summer hours of the sun really promotes growth on the rock.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, lets take a look at this tank shall we? So my idea was to go Macro algae and Sponges and Gorgs in this tank. Everything that came in was way to big for this tank, so it went into my main tank.
Red Sponge:
frag312a.jpg

Gorg (finger if I remember)
frag312.jpg

So because these were too big, I had to switch gears a bit. New plan - Ricordea/Mushroom Factory!

I ordered two St Thomas Mushrooms, and 10 rainbow ricordea. Because of shipping delay (again!) they got in a day late, and the water temp was below 60 degrees. Lost two ricordea, everything else is acclimating in the tank. Some better than others...
ricsuns3.jpg

The little filter I have for my phone washes out colors, the bright yellows are really orange and yellows. The Mushrooms are pretty much dead on colorwise, but there is a reddish/purple line under the rim that looks pretty nice in the tank. Here's another poopy shot:
ricsuns2.jpg

These have been in the tank less than a day, and they are recovering. Still a ways to go with them. Two fish - Royal Gramma and a lantern bass, both about 1.5" long are in there. I had forgotten how awesome lantern bass are in reef tanks. Super cool little fish! Pics of them when I can get them.

Lastly, a couple Mangroves in the back of the tank:
unsrear.jpg

They both had leaves, till I dropped one and knocked the top off. The root systems are really strong, so not too worried.

More pics when they open up more!

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
Just rebooted the tank yesterday. I got a new desk, and had to take that tank down to get the new desk in place. Moved everything out into other tanks. Not sure of what is going in there this time, maybe just gorgonians and mushrooms.

Should be up and running by the end of the month (with new pics) as I'm moving some rock over from another thank to kick start the cycle.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nearly a month later, she's up and running just fine. I transplanted rock from my other tanks, so no cycle. Not going to add fish to this tank (yet - I'll add an aiptasia eating filefish down the road) but the Euphillya are loving, LOVING the reduced flow.

Turnover is about 15x per hour from the main pump only. I might add an airstone for a little more flow, but so far, so good. Didn't get to the front glass to clean, with only a couple snails, they need to eat too :)

The lone acro is doing fine - it is sitting just next to the path of the pump, so pretty good flow for it.

20211202_134545_HDR.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back