Unstable tank parameters with All-For-Reef

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always struggled with unstable low parameters, and 2 weeks ago when I began using all-for-reef everything started to run smoothly.

I was dosing 2ml daily for 60L and this would maintain:
Kh9 mg1300 ca420

After my 50% water change Saturday, alk has dropped to 8.5, mg 1200 . I then upped dosing to 3ml this week and it’s still at these numbers.

what is going on ? Why are parameters staying constant despite an increase in dosing?

thanks

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salt may mix to a lower number than where you had your mag and alk preferred and the water change lowered that number down and it’s maintaining those numbers because your livestock is consuming 3ml daily. It’s a good thing. I get a round about of what my salt Params mix to and dose the water to my tank parameters as needed.

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing all for reef for over a year and love it. i dose 18mls a day in a 90 gallon. 10 gallon water change every two weeks with red sea blue bucket salt.

OP
OP
Nanolifeuk

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salt may mix to a lower number than where you had your mag and alk
dose the new water before the water changes.
That’s a very good point I’ve not thought about- I use DD h2ocean which has :
9.6kh 1340mg @ 1.0265
My water is @ 1.0250

although I don’t really like this salt and believe the figures are exaggerated. I’m yet to test a fresh batch. But if it is lower than tank parameters I will dose that and see if it makes a difference.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always struggled with unstable low parameters, and 2 weeks ago when I began using all-for-reef everything started to run smoothly.

I was dosing 2ml daily for 60L and this would maintain:
Kh9 mg1300 ca420

After my 50% water change Saturday, alk has dropped to 8.5, mg 1200 . I then upped dosing to 3ml this week and it’s still at these numbers.

what is going on ? Why are parameters staying constant despite an increase in dosing?

thanks

A 50% water change is quite a lot and as mentioned the replacement salt water may well be accounting for much of the instability that you are seeing. I've used DD salt and how you mix it does have an effect on the final parameters (follow the manufacturers directions for best results), so definitely check those.

Once you get your dosing correct, I'd suggest trying 10% weekly as it will have much less of an effect on your aquarium's water chemistry.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back