Unsure how to proceed with these

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got snails from top shelf aquatics (im not bashing them for anything i have a few corals from them with good experiences)
and i'm second guessing putting these snails in my tank. I got astraea and trochus snails. the trochus look pretty clean but the other ones are covered in what looks like vermatid. I scraped most of it off but I'm not sure about putting them straight in the tank.

I'm also paranoid about fish diseases. I don't know what top shelf aquatics procedures are with snails. If they are in a fish less system or anything.

8871617E-E074-4053-B575-3078DA9C4801.jpeg ACC218C2-1A37-4067-97D1-642B706F04BA.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like setting up a QT for snails for this purpose. I scrape anything off of them and them brush some hydrogen peroxide on their shells. That is by far the most decorated snail I have ever seen. Also, for some reason, astrea seem to always have vermatids on their shells when I see them.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about disease, I would ask them whether or not they come from a fishless system. I personally put snails in a qt for 45 days at 81F. I also add some source of nitrogen and phosphate for algae to grow as well as a spare cheap reef light I have.

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about disease, I would ask them whether or not they come from a fishless system. I personally put snails in a qt for 45 days at 81F. I also add some source of nitrogen and phosphate for algae to grow as well as a spare cheap reef light I have.
I am thinking of setting up a quick quarantine with algae/nori wafers or something. I'm not getting a good feeling with, like you said, how decorated they are. I acclimated them and scrapped the crap out of their shells then put them in a different container with new tank water for the moment. The container i acclimated them in is covered in gunk i got off them.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back