Unusual critter growing on polyps...

hermocentricorbit

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Messages
18
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I seem to have some strange growth/critter(?) along my clove polyps, it certainly doesn't look like anything that grows along the clove polyps that I've seen here...It seems fairly embedded in the colony which was bought from a reputable LFS. Is this a parasite? It almost looks like a tentacle or a worm of some kind...

420183-acd199d5ab5632018374bc0f9d712560.jpg


mystery critter.jpg
 
even though tunicates are good ones to have...I dont think having it directly on the polyp is a good idea.
Can you pull it off?
 
Tunicates are usually not problematic in our tanks, as it's not an environment they thrive in. They like a nice dirty tank. They are known as a fouling organism and back home we have a lot of trouble with them on the lines of aquacultured mussels. That is an amazing photo.
 
Thanks for all your input everyone! I tried picking at one but they seem pretty determined to stay where they are and I don't want to damage my colony. Seeing as they don't seem to harmful I'd love to try and keep them, I feed phytofeast and marine snow, would that be enough to keep 'em happy?

Most of the clove polyps open, most only partially, I'm still working on figuring why.
 
Tunicates are filter feeders I believe, they require dissolved nutrients to survive. I don't think target feeding them is really an option, but I'm no expert on those.
 
Very unusual growth of a synascidian, a colonial tunicate. Usually they disappear after some time without taking any measure.
 
If this actually starts to smother the zoas, I would love for you to tag me. I'd be very interested to know.
 
Thanks for all your help everyone! I'll keep an eye on the colony and we'll see how it affects the clove polyps
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new