Up-cycling Another Berlin Classic Into An Algae Reactor

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post a link to a new algae reactor build I am making for my 13.5g Evo! My first reactor is kicking butt and alone can process ~7 ppm nitrate and ~.02 ppm phosphate when run for a full 24 hours. Culpera doubles in size within 2 weeks on my 40 breeder (53 gallon system) so after facing nutrient issues in my nano I decided to figure out a way to plumb in its own reactor.

Here is a link to my first build and a pic
IMG_3777.JPG

My first attempt was using the acrylic tube that forms the 2nd pass and some 3D printed parts I designed to make a mini version of the reactor. I think it turned out fantastic but the lid seal just won't cut it. After several attempts and a consistent leak in the lid I decided to replicate my first design.. with some upgrades.
IMG_3776.JPG

So onto the build. The plan is to use an old Berlin Classic (XL this time), an arduino, some RGBW Neopixels and an inline flow meter to dial in the flow. As this is a nano tank I am going to plumb this straight into my Sicce 1.0 which has plenty of excess capacity and I have it throttled back. If this doesn't work out then I have an MJ1200 I can use.

Goals: Add volume to the system, reduce nutrients and monitor flow rate into my tank and reactor. Increasing pods helps too
Parts:
Berlin Classic XL (got it used along with $500 in old equipment for like $5 worth of african cichlids)
Some 3D printed parts
Arduino Nano
58 Neopixels
1/2" flow sensor
Cheap LCD
Silicone, 1/2" black tubing, some super glue, and some inginuity

IMG_3778.JPG

My first design was made shortly after my 3D printer broke so the electronic enclosure was a specimen cup, the algae grasping shelf was out of egg crate and I held the sucked together with electrical tape. I hope to do it more elegantly this time. Today I finally made some headway in designing custom fittings (old berlin classics use Metric...) and got the electrical soldered and working. Follow along and share your thoughts!

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update. Still working on getting the flow sensor to give me data as the example guides are not very clear... Lighting works as expected and changed up the spectrum a little based on other lights on the market. If you are not familiar with neopixels they are individually addressable LEDs that come on a strip. Each pixel is actually 4 LEDS (a red, green, blue and white) and together they are "dither able". Not sure what the word means but I have used them to make some cool music reactive panels.
Here is where I am setting the % power for each LED. Might change this around if anyone has any ideas... Based on this I am guessing its about 10W of lighting which worked on my first build with less green.
Reds: 100%
Greens: 15%
Blues: 60%
Whites: 80%

Printed and glued my very tight fitting homemade barbed connections. Connected it up to a pump and I had a tiny leak around the base and one of the fittings so I sealed it up with silicone.
IMG_3793.JPG

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back