UPDATE: BioCube 29 memorial to Dad

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone, it's been about 8 months now and I figured I'd post an update to my original build thread.

Here is my original thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-to-the-hobby.273155/

The BioCube is doing absolutely incredible, and I know my dad would be proud to see what I've built from his little tank we bought him for Christmas 4 years ago. For those who didn't know, I inherited this tank from my dad who we lost to cancer almost a year ago. He used to love looking at his tank. It was in horrible condition as he could no longer take care of it, and it was basically a green swamp when I decided to start it from scratch as kind of a grieving process and to help me with the loss of my father. I spend hours and hours scrubbing it with vinegar, and I took the two somehow surviving snails to the LFS. I researched and researched and dove in head first. I kept his little house that he had bought for the tank as a small memorial to him.

I've gotten new stock BioCube bulbs, what a difference. The old ones were almost three years old, and until I changed them, I didn't realize just how bad they had gotten.

I stopped using the carbon media filter and started putting filter floss in its place.

I run a bag of carbon before the return pump in place of the stock sponge.

All I have ever dosed is calcium one time to get up to the 420 mark. The tank has pretty much sustained that number for months and months now.

Inhabitants:
-Fire fish
-2 clownfish
-Diamond Goby
-Two emerald crabs
-12~ various snails
-12~ hermit crabs
-Pistol shrimp
-Fire shrimp

Corals:
-Zoas
-Hammer
-Yellow polyps
-Hollywood stunner chalice
-Hydnophora exesa
-GSP

A few pics. I'll start from where it began! Thanks to everyone who has helped me on this journey and who continues to help me. I love this tank so much and am proud of what I've built, and I know my dad is proud.

IMG_6909.JPG
IMG_7041.JPG
IMG_7087.JPG
IMG_7216.JPG
IMG_7392.JPG
IMG_7526.JPG
IMG_8092.JPG
IMG_8399.JPG
IMG_9903.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG
56ad6c776b3e98151576de27a202bbc0.png
IMG_2812.JPG
IMG_2992.JPG
IMG_3237.JPG
IMG_3245.JPG
IMG_3261.JPG
IMG_3382.JPG
IMG_3498.JPG
IMG_3552.JPG

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tribute, and a a great way to connect with him! I have taken up other hobbies because of a lost loved one, vegetable garden and Christmas lights. I think he would be very proud and honored by your accomplishment! Will definitely be following! And thank you for doing it, This makes me feel good!

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tribute, and a a great way to connect with him! I have taken up other hobbies because of a lost loved one, vegetable garden and Christmas lights. I think he would be very proud and honored by your accomplishment! Will definitely be following! And thank you for doing it, This makes me feel good!

Thank you so much. It is definitely a little something that makes me remember him, and since this has become my addiction, I'm remembering my father a lot! He was also a frugal man, so I'm guessing he's looking down screaming when he sees my receipts at the LFS :)

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Coraline! Great job man! Your dad would be proud. Battlegrounds is sweet too! Ha you got good taste

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to evect my emeralds, if your tanks to clean, they get no algea and start eating zoas.

Turns out he was dead... the poor old fella died while munching on zoas. I guess that's every emerald crabs ideal way to go.

Anyways... sad :( thinking he was just old though. Got him when he was already huge 9 to 10 months ago.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back