New to the hobby

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am brand new to the world of saltwater aquariums, and have a few questions starting out. We got my dad a 29 gallon BioCube for Christmas a few years back. He absolutely loved it, and had it up and running for 2 years. He was diagnosed with cancer about a year and a half ago, and unfortunately lost his battle a few months ago...

Well, I have always loved saltwater tanks and have always wanted one myself. I decided to take the tank, and bring it to my house to get it back up and running. While he was sick, the tank took a toll as he couldn't keep up with it anymore during the last 4 months or so of his fight. It was pretty much completely gone; algae everywhere, and most everything had died except for 3 snails somehow.

I emptied the water from the tank, and just threw out all of the rock and filter media. I got the 3 snails out of there and brought them to the fish store. I did a lot of research on how to jump into the world of saltwater aquariums, and I did the white vinegar clean (spent about 3 days cleaning this thing). I got the tank spotless and started from scratch. I went to the LFS and got 20 pounds of live rock to get started, as well as premixed saltwater. After a couple of days with the tank running, I got 30 pounds of live sand and added it to the tank. I finally gotten the tank all clear after the initial milky mess from adding the sand. I also added a sea snail who had died in the last tank, to help with the cycle.

I tested the water 4 days ago and these were the results:
PH- 8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 5.0 PPM

I then added the sand, and then tested the water again today after all of the cloudiness had dissipated, and the results were:
PH- 8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 10.0 PPM

I haven't seen any detectable amount of ammonia or nitrites, but am getting readings on nitrates. Is the tank possibly cycling without these being detectable? Could I have missed the spike in ammonia and nitrites in the first 3 days that I didn't test the water? I've had the tank up and running with 20 pounds of live rock in it for just over a week now, and the sand has been in for 3 days.

I've also found a few hitch hikers. Both being brittle stars... Cool little creatures to watch.

Any tips or information is greatly appreciated. I look forward to this tank flourishing in remembrance of my Dad.

Here are a few pictures of what I have as of tonight.
(I could NOT get the build up off the black plastic on the back of the tank)
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am brand new to the world of saltwater aquariums, and have a few questions starting out. We got my dad a 29 gallon BioCube for Christmas a few years back. He absolutely loved it, and had it up and running for 2 years. He was diagnosed with cancer about a year and a half ago, and unfortunately lost his battle a few months ago...

Well, I have always loved saltwater tanks and have always wanted one myself. I decided to take the tank, and bring it to my house to get it back up and running. While he was sick, the tank took a toll as he couldn't keep up with it anymore during the last 4 months or so of his fight. It was pretty much completely gone; algae everywhere, and most everything had died except for 3 snails somehow.

I emptied the water from the tank, and just threw out all of the rock and filter media. I got the 3 snails out of there and brought them to the fish store. I did a lot of research on how to jump into the world of saltwater aquariums, and I did the white vinegar clean (spent about 3 days cleaning this thing). I got the tank spotless and started from scratch. I went to the LFS and got 20 pounds of live rock to get started, as well as premixed saltwater. After a couple of days with the tank running, I got 30 pounds of live sand and added it to the tank. I finally gotten the tank all clear after the initial milky mess from adding the sand. I also added a sea snail who had died in the last tank, to help with the cycle.

I tested the water 4 days ago and these were the results:
PH- 8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 5.0 PPM

I then added the sand, and then tested the water again today after all of the cloudiness had dissipated, and the results were:
PH- 8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 10.0 PPM

I haven't seen any detectable amount of ammonia or nitrites, but am getting readings on nitrates. Is the tank possibly cycling without these being detectable? Could I have missed the spike in ammonia and nitrites in the first 3 days that I didn't test the water? I've had the tank up and running with 20 pounds of live rock in it for just over a week now, and the sand has been in for 3 days.

I've also found a few hitch hikers. Both being brittle stars... Cool little creatures to watch.

Any tips or information is greatly appreciated. I look forward to this tank flourishing in remembrance of my Dad.

Here are a few pictures of what I have as of tonight.
(I could NOT get the build up off the black plastic on the back of the tank)
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm sorry that you got into the hobby under these circumstances but I hope it is a hobby you learn to love. My wife watched her dad die from cancer a few years ago and I'm not sure there is anything harder than that.

I would say that your tank is cycling. I used bacteria in a bottle with dry rock and never saw any nitrite and only saw ammonia right after I dosed pure ammonia. I would say your live rock is doing its job and your tank pretty much came pre cycled. Just remember to add fish slow when you think you are ready.

Squig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Welcome to the world of saltwater aquariums :) My condolences for your loss. Its great that you are keeping the tank your father loved!

I agree that the tank has probably cycled. A good way to tell would be to ghost feed the tank a small amount of fish food or get a small fish. That way you are sure you are adding ammonia to the tank. If you aren't reading ammonia or nitrites and your nitrate continues to rise, you know for sure the tank has cycled.

My one piece of advice would be to keep on top of those water changes. You don't need to buy a bunch of equipment or chemicals keep your tank looking awesome. I have two biocubes and change 5-10 gallons a week. The little work you do for the water changes will amount to a ton of worked saved via algae, scraping tank walls, ect.

Enjoy your new tank!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm very sorry for your loss but I'm glad you're here. +1 with everything Brew said. You can always test your tank to see if it's cycled by adding ammonia to the tank. This can be accomplished by many methods, but adding pure ammonia to the tank is the best way to assure you get it to 2ppm. If the tank can process that down to nitrate in 24 hours, then you're good to add a small fish. You don't have to do this, but it's a way to give you some peace of mind when the tank cycles "softly" like that.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

I too am sorry for your misfortune although it looks like you've received some great advice!

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm sorry that you got into the hobby under these circumstances but I hope it is a hobby you learn to love. My wife watched her dad die from cancer a few years ago and I'm not sure there is anything harder than that.

I would say that your tank is cycling. I used bacteria in a bottle with dry rock and never saw any nitrite and only saw ammonia right after I dosed pure ammonia. I would say your live rock is doing its job and your tank pretty much came pre cycled. Just remember to add fish slow when you think you are ready.

Hey! Welcome to the world of saltwater aquariums :) My condolences for your loss. Its great that you are keeping the tank your father loved!

I agree that the tank has probably cycled. A good way to tell would be to ghost feed the tank a small amount of fish food or get a small fish. That way you are sure you are adding ammonia to the tank. If you aren't reading ammonia or nitrites and your nitrate continues to rise, you know for sure the tank has cycled.

My one piece of advice would be to keep on top of those water changes. You don't need to buy a bunch of equipment or chemicals keep your tank looking awesome. I have two biocubes and change 5-10 gallons a week. The little work you do for the water changes will amount to a ton of worked saved via algae, scraping tank walls, ect.

Enjoy your new tank!

Welcome to R2R! I'm very sorry for your loss but I'm glad you're here. +1 with everything Brew said. You can always test your tank to see if it's cycled by adding ammonia to the tank. This can be accomplished by many methods, but adding pure ammonia to the tank is the best way to assure you get it to 2ppm. If the tank can process that down to nitrate in 24 hours, then you're good to add a small fish. You don't have to do this, but it's a way to give you some peace of mind when the tank cycles "softly" like that.
That is a great idea, as I've been driving myself mad wondering if the tank has cycled, or it hasn't even started yet. Is it possible for nitrates to show up before the cycle? That had me a bit perplexed as well. I know nitrates are the last step in the nitrogen cycle, but could there be nitrates in the tank before ammonia and nitrites show up?

In regards to adding the ammonia, is there a ratio to follow as to how much ammonia to add to get up to 2PPM? I plan on doing this tonight.

Welcome home, you will love it here!

I too am sorry for your misfortune although it looks like you've received some great advice!

Welcome to R2R! Very nice start!

welcom.jpg

Thank you everyone! This is kind of what I was ignorantly assuming. That I just got a very soft cycle, and the rock is doing it's job. I plan on waiting another week or two still before adding any fish. I would like to get a couple of cleaner shrimp in the tank as my first residents. Thoughts on this?

When referring to water changes, to make sure I understand correctly, I just simply siphon out 5 gallons or so, and add new
premixed saltwater, correct?

I feel like I don't have enough live rock quite yet, and I'd like to build a bit more vertical for my fish to have more rock to swim in and out of. What is the process regarding adding new live rock to my tank at this point?

What are the recommendations on coral? I'd love to get some coral in the tank, but would like to keep the difficulty level to a minimum as I'm completely new. What are some cheap, hardy, cheap(ish) coral I can get in the tank?

I'm sure I'll have a million other questions as my tank progresses. Thank you all for the help.

Squig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Adam,

As far as water changes go, that is correct. When you take out saltwater from your tank you are going to want to replace with more saltwater. Be aware that the tank is constantly going to be evaporating water also. When water evaporates it leaves behind all the desolved salts. This means that you want to replace the water that evaporates with fresh water (preferably RODI water). If not, your tank will become saltier and saltier until it is too much. I would strongly suggest getting a refractometer so you can check the concentration of salt in your tank and adjust. This is a lot easier than it sounds.

As for the live rock, as long as it has been cycled and is free of pest you can add as much a you want!

As for coral, I personally would stay away from Xenia an Green Star Polyps as they are so easy they can actually turn into a pest. I would recommend some easier Zoanthids, Candy Cane Coral, and softies such as mushrooms.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! And yes, how much water you take out needs to be replaced with new water.

Hey Adam,

As far as water changes go, that is correct. When you take out saltwater from your tank you are going to want to replace with more saltwater. Be aware that the tank is constantly going to be evaporating water also. When water evaporates it leaves behind all the desolved salts. This means that you want to replace the water that evaporates with fresh water (preferably RODI water). If not, your tank will become saltier and saltier until it is too much. I would strongly suggest getting a refractometer so you can check the concentration of salt in your tank and adjust. This is a lot easier than it sounds.

As for the live rock, as long as it has been cycled and is free of pest you can add as much a you want!

As for coral, I personally would stay away from Xenia an Green Star Polyps as they are so easy they can actually turn into a pest. I would recommend some easier Zoanthids, Candy Cane Coral, and softies such as mushrooms.

Thank you!

I did know about adding RO water as the salt does not evaporate, I will make sure to keep a jug of RO water for this purpose. I do have a refractometer already, and the tank is just a tad on the salty side. When I do my first 5 gallon water change, should I add a bit of RO water with the salt water to bring down the salt level?

Good to know on the coral. I plan on getting some coral and a cleaner shrimp or two in the tank by the end of the week if the "ammonia test" goes well tonight and tomorrow, and my tank is cycled.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

I did know about adding RO water as the salt does not evaporate, I will make sure to keep a jug of RO water for this purpose. I do have a refractometer already, and the tank is just a tad on the salty side. When I do my first 5 gallon water change, should I add a bit of RO water with the salt water to bring down the salt level?

Good to know on the coral. I plan on getting some coral and a cleaner shrimp or two in the tank by the end of the week if the "ammonia test" goes well tonight and tomorrow, and my tank is cycled.
You can switch out a few gallons and replace with RO water without salt to bring your salinity down if it's high. No more than a few gallons at a time of you do this.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd advise on a small quarantine tank for all incoming fish, coral, and inverts. Disease can easily wipe out a tank.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can switch out a few gallons and replace with RO water without salt to bring your salinity down if it's high. No more than a few gallons at a time of you do this.
Okay, thank you. It is right around 1.026 as of yesterday.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd advise on a small quarantine tank for all incoming fish, coral, and inverts. Disease can easily wipe out a tank.
How long should I keep a fish or coral in quarantine? Can this be achieved with a clean bucket with the water from the tank in it? Or is it suggested to have another small, running tank? What would I look for in regards to diseases in fish or coral?

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I got into keeping aquariums after my dog died of Cancer in 2007 started with freshwater than went to the salt side. Just keep up with your maintenance and you'll be fine.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I keep a fish or coral in quarantine? Can this be achieved with a clean bucket with the water from the tank in it? Or is it suggested to have another small, running tank? What would I look for in regards to diseases in fish or coral?

Corals would need to be in a fishless QT for 76 days for maximum safety. I have a small 20 gallon JBJ frag tank for this purpose. The fish should be QT'd for 30 days minimum and this varies with the method of QT as well as the symptoms they develop. See the links I'm posting for more detailed info. Feel free to ask any questions they leave you with. :)

How to Quarantine
Fish Disease Index

Squig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip all my corals and put them in the display. I make sure that I buy quality fish specimens from a good source and that they look disease free. I have never had a quarantine tank for fish, and I have never had a problem personally.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip all my corals and put them in the display. I make sure that I buy quality fish specimens from a good source and that they look disease free. I have never had a quarantine tank for fish, and I have never had a problem personally.

What do you dip the corals in?

What is the correct process of introducing a cleaner shrimp or a fish to the tank?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral RX for fauna pests, H2O2 for flora pests, iodine for infection and necrosis. Oh and....

IMG_5199.JPG

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to aclimate. Depends on what is already in the tank. In an empty tank if you choose to not QT specimens i would simply float a bag for 20 minutes. And allow the bag to sink and the fish to swim out. After certain fish have been established you may need an acclimation box.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back